D5 and D850 Files

Real Name
Ian
I agree and have used my D810 and D850 this way for some time to reduce the noise in high ISO images. But in low light with dynamic subjects, or action shots I grab my D5 for the better autofocus performance. Both bodies have a role in my shooting and I would not give up either.
Yes, the D5 does have better AF than the D850, and even at equivalent output size the D5 still has a slightly better noise pattern.

But unless you're making your money shooting fast subjects in low light situations, a D850 + battery grip along with some NR and output resizing will deliver nearly identical results to a D5 for all but the most discerning users, while costing them a fraction of what the D5 does (while being more versatile as well).

If you pay thousands to go on wildlife photo trips you want a D5. At Santa Clara Ranch the D850 cost me a great road runner sequence because the AF is not up to the task. I’ve seen the same in Costa Rica.

Have to agree with Randy on the AF for subjects on the move, BIF, etc. D5 is the best and grabs stuff the D850 misses.

Interesting, I didn’t know that
And then there’s the AF and handling
It’s an easy choice and I wish all choices were so easy
unfortunately dslr cameras can only acquire focus on objects while the mirror is down, the rest of the time they have to predict focus so a d5 at 12fps will always be able to track better than say the d850 at 7fps as the D5's autofocus sensor will be in use for more of the burst.

putting a d5 battery in a d850 battery grip and thus upping the D850's frame rate to 9fps will increase the d850's af ability by nearly 30% due to the af sensor being available for more of the time.

drop the fps on the d5 to 7 or 9 and you will loose the D5's advantage.

In Texas the D850 had a grip and a D5 battery.
yes, but your d5 still has about another 30% less blackout time when it can actively track, providing your using the d5 at 12fps.

the d5 is definately faster and i will get a d6 when its available to pre order but the d850 has really surprised me compared to my canon 1dx2, I've been photographing dragonflies in flight and the d500 or d850 and 200-500 never misses, the 1dx2 struggled in that scenario with the 100-400.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom