D5, different focus problem....

to anyone who may be able to help....
red square in the view finder does not lock. does not "sit still" its always jumping all over. Even when pointing at a stationary object. like it cant find/lock focus.... ???
Here are my auto focus setting. I already compared with a friend who has a D5. Tried different lenses. Same thing.
Any help great appreciated.

A1 release

A2 focus

A3 both in center

A4 OFF

A5 normal

A6 55 points

A7 Off

A8 Shutter/AF-ON

A9 dynamic AF 25 points

A10 no restrictions

A11 no wrap

A12 manual focus mode ON

I truly appreciate your help!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jim

to anyone who may be able to help....
red square in the view finder does not lock. does not "sit still" its always jumping all over. Even when pointing at a stationary object. like it cant find/lock focus.... ???
Here are my auto focus setting. I already compared with a friend who has a D5. Tried different lenses. Same thing.
Any help great appreciated.

A1 release

A2 focus

A3 both in center

A4 OFF

A5 normal

A6 55 points

A7 Off

A8 Shutter/AF-ON

A9 dynamic AF 25 points

A10 no restrictions

A11 no wrap

A12 manual focus mode ON

I truly appreciate your help!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jim

Guys I appreciate the suggestion. Holding the camera an inch away from my eye, no contact at all. Red square still jumps around.
Thank you tho.

Jim

D5 Focus issue resolved !!
Thank you so much to Randy R. Carolinasportsphotography.com

Problem was, red square in viewfinder constantly jumping around searching for a focus point. Would not stop.

Front of the camera, lower, by your left finger. AF/M switch. Push that button in while looking thru the view finder.
You will see in red, your focus mode. I was in (big red letters) 3 D. Worst setting possible (Randy)
By scrolling thru with my right forefinger on the wheel by shutter button, I change the focus point from 3 D, to AF S and a single red square top center. I can still move it around like all cameras.
Focus jumping gone. Now OK.
I hope this helps someone else!
Again, The Nikoncafe comes thru & a big thank you Randy !

Jim

Problem was, red square in viewfinder constantly jumping around searching for a focus point. Would not stop.

Front of the camera, lower, by your left finger. AF/M switch. Push that button in while looking thru the view finder.
You will see in red, your focus mode. I was in (big red letters) 3 D. Worst setting possible (Randy)
By scrolling thru with my right forefinger on the wheel by shutter button, I change the focus point from 3 D, to AF S and a single red square top center. I can still move it around like all cameras.

Jim
Boy, Randy still has all his marbles intact! After reading this I vaguely "remember" reading about this sometime ago!

Jim
A9 in your menu will put a permanent end to such issues. It enables you to exclude them from setting choices. Personally, I turn off all but single, group and D9 on my D5.

3D Auto is extremely effective in the D5 when one is photographing moving objects.
Auto Focus works slightly differently in a D5 than in other cameras.

In 3D AF, the red square "locks" onto the point on which you first focussed and then that red square sticks to, and follows, that object wherever it moves to in the viewfinder.
3D is not "always jumping all over" if you are using the camera correctly.
What you are describing sounds more like the other "Auto Mode" (non 3D) when the camera itself selects and focusses on the nearest object and then tracks that object.

3D tracks the object on which the photographer has focussed for as long as he keeps the AF-ON button depressed.

3D Auto works best when the focused object varies in colour from the background and it works especially well if you adopt Back-button (AF-ON) focusing.

Despite what many users believe, the Dynamic AF modes on a D5 do NOT track automatically: the photographer has to move the camera to keep the focussed-upon object within the box.

3D Auto is extremely effective in the D5 when one is photographing moving objects.

In 3D AF, the red square "locks" onto the point on which you first focussed and then that red square sticks to, and follows, that object wherever it moves to in the viewfinder.
What you are describing sounds more like the other "Auto Mode" (non 3D) when the camera itself selects and focusses on the nearest object and then tracks that object.

3D tracks the object on which the photographer has focussed for as long as he keeps the AF-ON button depressed.

3D Auto works best when the focused object varies in colour from the background and it works especially well if you adopt Back-button (AF-ON) focusing.

Despite what many users believe, the Dynamic AF modes on a D5 do NOT track automatically: the photographer has to move the camera to keep the focussed-upon object within the box.
Very interesting response Ann. You've given me something to try with the 3D AF, never used it but will now try it.

As Ann says 3D tracking works great i use it to shoot rythmic gymnastics getting excellent results,it's the Auto mode that's no good.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen

Steve Perry covers the pro's and con's of the 3D AF mode very well in his book Secrets to the Nikon Autofocus System beginning on page 126.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom