D5 focus issue

This is more out of curiosity, have any of the D5 users experienced any focus issues with their cameras? If so what was the issue and the repair; an adjustment or parts replacement.
I purchased one in May and noticed, a few weeks ago and a little over 12,000 clicks on it, that the right 1/3 (approximately) was looking a bit soft. At first I thought it to be a lens issue, but further testing with other lenses and my D4S it is the camera. I just sent it off to NPS.
A friend of mine just sent her D5 in for repair as hers was looking a bit soft as well.

Are you saying that focus ports on the right result in a soft photo, or that the right side is always softer than the left in the same image?

I had a friend who had all sorts of mystery issues and sent his in, then said it was much better afterwards. I never could get any clear indication what changed though.

My D5 has quite different focus characteristics than the D4, especially in dynamic auto-area, but it works wonderfully.

Are you saying that focus ports on the right result in a soft photo, or that the right side is always softer than the left in the same image?

I had a friend who had all sorts of mystery issues and sent his in, then said it was much better afterwards. I never could get any clear indication what changed though.

My D5 has quite different focus characteristics than the D4, especially in dynamic auto-area, but it works wonderfully.
The right side is always softer than the left and center. Started around 12,000 clicks, or at least that's when I noticed it. I'm guessing something is out of alignment.
It should arrive at NPS today. So I should know something by the end of the week.

I'd be curious to hear what could cause that, it almost sounds like the lens mount is bent. Or I guess conceivably some separation of the AA filter glass. But there's nothing really there to normally affect focus during exposure.

Please do post the results.

Estimate from Nikon repair is "FOCUS BENT MOUNT TO GWO". I've had lens mounts replaced in the past, but in those cases the camera would not focus at all of was soft over the entire frame. This is the first time I've encountered the issue where only a portion of the frame was out of focus. If you are curious, it is not covered under warranty.

If you are the original owner, they must think you bumped it against something if they are not covering it under warranty???
I am the original owner and I agree they are considering this to be impact damage. I take it as the "cost of doing business" as I do put a lot of use of both of my pro bodies. I had a D4S, that was purchased new, that required a new shutter after 18 months and 160,000 clicks. My other D4S, purchased used with 25k clicks, is going strong and is currently at 221,000 clicks after 24 months.

At least the explanation makes sense compared to the symptoms. Must have been quite a bump.
Not necessarily, any lens as long as the 70-200 bumped where the hood mounts would not leave a mark and the force would be multiplied by the length of the lens (lever). I suspect since the image is just soft on one side the damage is only some small part of a mm of warp.
After all, picking up camera and lens by the camera when a 300mm f2.8 is mounted is a no no. For this very reason.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom