D5 questions

Hello all,

I’ve had my D3s for eight years now, and I think it’s finally time (probably, maybe) for an upgrade. I’m hoping to hold out until after the first of the year if I can.

With the recent price reduction, that makes the D5 roughly the same price as the D3s when I bought it. That’s really what got me thinking.

For me, the timing is right in that I won’t have to do any major upgrades elsewhere. My current software (DxO) supports the D5, and with the Raw2Nef utility, I could even still use my old Capture NX-2.

This will be my last camera if I decide to get it (and no, I’m not thinking at all about a D6). The folks who talk about it here and elsewhere rave about it, it seems, so that makes me feel better.

And here is where I need your opinions (and possibly answers).

I know the D5 is probably only incrementally better at high ISO, but can you tell a difference? I shoot a lot of night sports.

Most folks rave about the improved autofocus. I generally shoot dynamic D25 with release priority and matrix metering. The vast majority of times, I use either aperture priority or manual so you’ll know.

Is there anything about the improved autofocus that I need to know?

The battery life on my D3s has been great. Is it good on the D5?

Are the menus similar enough that I can set up the D5 without beating my head against a wall? It’s been a long time since I’ve set up a new camera.

I use the custom banks to store settings. If I use different autofocus modes in different banks (say, Dynamic 25 and single point, just to pick two out of a hat), are those stored in their respective banks? The D3s has a switch on the back that I don’t think the D5 has.

I know some of the button placements are different. If you’ve used both cameras, did it take you long to adjust?

For those who have used both cameras, are there any other little (or big) differences that I need to be aware of?

Also, does it make any difference if I order from B&H or Adorama? And just in case, is the return policy fairly easy (in your experience) at both? Or is there someplace better?

I’m sure there will be more stuff as I keep thinking. I appreciate all of your input. Thank you.

Andy

I know the D5 is probably only incrementally better at high ISO...
I think you've got that right, at least according to objective measurements:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The improvement appears to be less than a stop at any iso value you're likely to actually use.

Real Name
Randy
another test gone wrong vs real life, IMO
and it's not only noise it's better pixels, almost none of the pixelation you start seeing on anything but a D5 at iso-s over 8k

Yep, there's a really good camera shop in Northern Virginia which has served many people well, both those of us who actually live here and who can pop into the shop (one of their several around the area, actually) in person, and those ordering online from other locations. Yo, Randy, Eldar says "hi!" :D. I was in there just yesterday and it was nice to see Eldar again, as it had been a while. The doggie, the shop's mascot, was snoozing in the back room this time so I didn't get to greet him, too, but it's fun when he is out on the main sales floor snuffling around behind the sales counter..... Most of the customers love him and the staff manages very nicely to step around him as need be.....

We in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC are so, so fortunate to still have camera shops around where we can check out the bodies and lenses in person, handle them, decide what we want and/or need, make arrangements for trading in older gear, etc., etc. Staff there is very knowledgeable and that really helps so much!

Real Name
Randy
Yep, there's a really good camera shop in Northern Virginia which has served many people well, both those of us who actually live here and who can pop into the shop (one of their several around the area, actually) in person, and those ordering online from other locations. Yo, Randy, Eldar says "hi!" :D. I was in there just yesterday and it was nice to see Eldar again, as it had been a while. The doggie, the shop's mascot, was snoozing in the back room this time so I didn't get to greet him, too, but it's fun when he is out on the main sales floor snuffling around behind the sales counter..... Most of the customers love him and the staff manages very nicely to step around him as need be.....

We in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC are so, so fortunate to still have camera shops around where we can check out the bodies and lenses in person, handle them, decide what we want and/or need, make arrangements for trading in older gear, etc., etc. Staff there is very knowledgeable and that really helps so much!
I’ve spent easily over 50k with Eldar, probably more. He is simply the best, best price and best service

Eldar is just terrific, and everyone in that Burke store is! When Penn Camera closed a few years ago, at least a couple of their people went to District Camera (then called Photocraft) and others went to Ace Photo out in Ashburn. District Camera recently opened a new store in Arlington in the Clarendon area, but I haven't been over there yet since parking can be very problematic. The store is near a Metro station, too, so that would probably what I'd do, just hop on the Orange Line and zip over there. The store in Burke is much easier to get to, about a twenty-minute drive for me in non-rush-hour traffic.

They have an incredible inventory of cameras, lenses, bags and other accessories -- and if they don't have it in stock they'll get it for you pretty quickly. Pricing is fair, and so is what they give someone for trade-ins. When I was buying my new gear the other day Ramona made sure to check for rebates, too, and said that if something I was getting goes go on a Black Friday rebate or special offer, they'll let me know so we can make a price adjustment, since I was buying so close to that Big Day.

Eldar is a busy guy these days, shuttling between the store in Burke, the store in Arlington and the store downtown in DC!

Thank you all for your observations.

Connie, I did check District Camera's website and they had it listed as backordered.

I also checked Camera Corner (camcor.com) in Burlington, NC, which is about two hours away, but they didn't even have a listing for it.

And thanks Randy for reaffirming what I had read about the better autofocus.

District Camera is a busy, busy place and something that is back-ordered one day may appear as being available the next day, with the following day indicating that it again on back-order. Another shop in the Northern Virginia area to check is Ace Photo, in Ashburn, VA, which also has a large inventory of gear and which is also a very busy place both online and with walk-in customers most of the time! www.acephoto.net.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Higher ISO/dynamic range was not the driver for me going from a D3s to the D5. It was AF acquisition and tracking improvements. That and other improvements resulted in quite an improvement over the D3s. YMMV............

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Higher ISO/dynamic range was not the driver for me going from a D3s to the D5. It was AF acquisition and tracking improvements. That and other improvements resulted in quite an improvement over the D3s. YMMV............
Karen, please, don't do that... :wideyed: :wideyed: :wideyed:
As you know I'm still shooting with a D700 and a D3S, and now...
Now you're talking me in a D5. Really?

OK, you're right, I'll let Santa know. ;):):D

Kind regards
Klaus

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom