D5 with CF Cards

Real Name
Mike
Anyone shooting a D5 with CF cards? I can pick up a used one for about £800-1000/$1000-1200 cheaper than going for a used XQD version. These prices include the cards themselves. Both have under 30K clicks. I just can’t see myself shooting for 10-20 seconds straight and needing all that buffer of a pro. Just want the ability to shoot in bursts and want all the other D5 capabilities.

Your experiences are appreciated.

I'm still shooting a D4 with CF card as well as a D810. For that difference in price I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But I already deal with CF as a part of my field kit and workflow. Might think differently if it meant introducing another format into things.

Real Name
Randy
I don't shoot video so this is not including video

the camera isn't going to slow down w/ CF cards and XQD is an overkill. Plenty of CF cards around to and way cheaper than XQD. The only thing to consider is resale

Real Name
Mike
I'm still shooting a D4 with CF card as well as a D810. For that difference in price I'd buy one in a heartbeat. But I already deal with CF as a part of my field kit and workflow. Might think differently if it meant introducing another format into things.
I have a D850 which is XQD & SD so I'm already mixing up media. CF cards are much cheaper though and the D5 I'm looking at is in mint condition. I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on it.

I don't shoot video so this is not including video

the camera isn't going to slow down w/ CF cards and XQD is an overkill. Plenty of CF cards around to and way cheaper than XQD. The only thing to consider is resale
The camera doesn't slow down with CF but the buffer gets full quicker and takes longer to clear. But all the tests I've seen online show people shooting uncompressed RAW (which I will be doing at times) while holding down the shutter for 10 seconds straight. I've never done this. I shoot in short bursts where needed.

I personally like the XQD cards. For the price, you could always send it to Nikon and have it converted to XQD and still have a good deal if you find it's performance isn't up to what you need.

I personally like the XQD cards. For the price, you could always send it to Nikon and have it converted to XQD and still have a good deal if you find it's performance isn't up to what you need.
Will the CF Express firmware update be available for the D5? If so, this sounds like a good option if OP does plan on converting to XQD later on. Since CF Express should break the monopoly Sony has on XQD and hopefully drive prices down.

Real Name
Mike
Will the CF Express firmware update be available for the D5? If so, this sounds like a good option if OP does plan on converting to XQD later on. Since CF Express should break the monopoly Sony has on XQD and hopefully drive prices down.
I researched this before pulling the trigger today. XQD is compatible with CFExpress with a firmware update. Leaves me in decent shape for both my D850 and D5.

I shall be jumping up and down when the D5 gets here tomorrow. I also purchased a mint 300mm 2.8 VRI for a very nice price which saved me £1000 vs. the VRII. Happy camper right now as I've avoided £2k in additional expense by shopping with money in hand ready to pounce on a good deal.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I researched this before pulling the trigger today. XQD is compatible with CFExpress with a firmware update. Leaves me in decent shape for both my D850 and D5.

I shall be jumping up and down when the D5 gets here tomorrow. I also purchased a mint 300mm 2.8 VRI for a very nice price which saved me £1000 vs. the VRII. Happy camper right now as I've avoided £2k in additional expense by shopping with money in hand ready to pounce on a good deal.
Congrats! You will enjoy both the D5 and the 300 2.8!

Awesome, make sure to post photos with your new setup! Congrats!

Real Name
Colin Carter
Probably not worth replying to an old post but personally I can’t see why anyone would cripple a d5 by buying the cf version.

cf cards are old tech now and quite fragile. The xqd and how CFexpress card is the way forward.

there won't be anymore cf based cameras going forward.

Probably not worth replying to an old post but personally I can’t see why anyone would cripple a d5 by buying the cf version.

cf cards are old tech now and quite fragile. The xqd and how CFexpress card is the way forward.

there won't be anymore cf based cameras going forward.
If I could buy a nice CF D5 for "$1000-1200 cheaper than going for a used XQD", as the original poster stated, I would snap it up in a heart beat for multiple reasons.
1) According to Nikon a couple of years ago, the upgrade from CF to XQD cost was $350. If I really wanted XQD, I would have the camera upgraded to XQD and have $750+ in my pocket for XQD cards or other stuff.
2) Unless you have a need for more images in the buffer than the D5 supports when using CF media, XQD cards are much more expensive and less compatible than CF with other camera models, including many older Nikon bodies.
3) Using CF media the D5 will still shoot raw at 12fps for about 5-8 seconds, depending on the compression and bit level selected.
4) Shooting jpeg, the D5 will hit the 200 frame limit with CF as fast as it will with XQD.

CF cards are old tech, but sometimes old tech still gets the job done. My D800E has past the 50K shutter mark and it does all I need for large images. My D3 has 2 old 16GB CF cards that each have provided me with 50K+ images and they are still working flawlessly. I just shot some portraits with the D3 a few days ago and if I do my part right, my portrait results are excellent up to 16x20.

As to fragility, Marianne Oelund reported in 2017: "Since 2004, I've taken nearly 6 million frames with CF cards. That involves literally thousands of insert/remove cycles, with cameras from D2Hs to D5. Not a single bent pin has occurred in my equipment." See dpreview.com conversation at: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3948770?page=2

I agree with you that CFexpress is the future, but XQD is the Edsel of media. IMHO XQD is dead-end tech. It has not been adopted well outside of the higher end Nikon bodies and since XQD is essentially a monopoly product of Sony, the cost has not fallen over the years like most tech hardware. CFexpress will replace XQD shortly and XQD will die off quickly. CFexpress is MUCH faster, and works in upgraded XQD slots. Since Sony does not hold a monopoly on CFexpress, I expect it to be adopted by many manufacturers and the price of CFe media to drop over time, further improving its market share and use. I will not buy another XQD card and recommend no one else do so unless absolutely required by current camera/job needs.

ONLY because Nikon has promised a firmware upgrade to support CFexpress for D5 and D500 bodies would I want a D5 with XQD slots. Even so, if I could purchase a CF slotted D5 for more than $500 less than a XQD D5, I would do so, and have it upgraded to XQD Slots for $350+/-, right after Nikon releases the CFe firmware update; if I needed more than 5 seconds of 12fps on a consistent basis.

Just because it can shoot at 12 fps doesn't mean it has to. I shoot racers doing 200+ MPH with a couple of D500s attached to an 800mm f5.6 and a 600 f/4. The 600 f/4 is critical in the very early morning when light levels are extremely low and that extra 100% more light getting to the AF system matters. Often I will shoot at a lower than max fps setting to give the camera more time between mirror-up periods to AF. The faster the fps rate, the less time the AF circuits have to focus. I have found that for my needs, I generally get better results at 7-8 fps than I do at 10fps. If the job requires shooting at 12fps for extended periods, then by all means that is what one should do. Otherwise I suggest buying photographic tools based job requirements, not specs. YMMV

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom