D50/70 to D80 upgrade - Regrets?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Holmes, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I saw a similar thread on another forum and it got me thinking. It seems we don't hear as much fanfare about the D80 as the D50 or the D200.

I owned a D200 for a few months and it certainly is one fine machine. My backcountry usage really places a high priority on weight so I investigated the D80 and found the camera gave me much of what I liked in the D200 but in a smaller and lighter package. The metering was the biggest source of adaptation but nothing insurmountable (I'm an old chrome shooter). I remain very impressed with the D80 for my application.

I'd be interested in hearing from those who went from the D50 or D70 to the D80. Would you do it again? Why or why not?

2. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    LOL! A similar thread has just popped up in the D80 forum!

Let's work with that one.

3. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Hi Edward - I was hoping you'd respond!

I really noticed the increased AF ability when using the 180/2.8. That was a pleasant surprise and I've now purchased another older copy of that lens strictly for field use.

Prior to the D80, I was not a big flash photographer but the combination of the D80 and SB800 have certainly opened my eyes to the benefits of Nikon's CLS. I'm now using fill flash quite often in the field with sporting dogs and no longer have problems with dark fur faces! This digital stuff may cause me to retire my film gear after all!

How are you getting along with the matrix metering of the D80?

4. DITTO Ed.... Except for the ISO at 800 as I can only compare it to the D50 which is really good at high ISO values. But have to say that I have been very impressed with the D80 output at high ISO. Plus I like the fact you can go to ISO3200, and many may complain about the noise, but for me, it means the difference between getting or missing the shot, plus when use correctly you can get some great effects at this high ISO...

So to get the D80...OH YEAH!!!... It's worth the move....