D50 and 17-55mm @ ISO 1600, and some carpentry.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Daves602, May 25, 2007.

1. This will kill 2 birds with one stone.
    I have just about finished building my work station in my lounge room.
    I am reasonably happy with my carpentry skills so I grabbed the D50 and pumped up the ISO to 1600 which still left me short of the 1/60th of a second that I should have been shooting at (ended up at 1/20th second). Well, a long story short is that the D50 still is an amazing little camera for low light and also at getting white balance as close as you are ever going to get with a jpeg shot.
    Now on to the bit about what a great lounge room I have!:Happy:
    Some may think that it is wierd to have an office in your lounge, but I find it is great as it does more than act as a home office. It is somewhere that my wife and I can both leave our computers and associated mess without it cluttering up the dining room table, a spot for the grandchildren to hang out if they get bored visiting, a buffet if we have the whole family over, a heap of drawers to store huge cushions and blankets for chilly nights...the list goes on.
    Oh yeah, nearly forgot, the picture.
  2. Hey Dave... I need some shelves in my office, you wanna come down to Adelaide and do a quick job.... Na..!!! Come to think of it the traveling expenses might be a bit high if you charge by the mile...LOL...

Great camera the D50, I originally kept mine as a backup but found I still use it as much as my D80....
  3. Bring your office up to my joint....

and I will knock some shelves up for you.
    I will take a better shot next week and post it in this link.
    The only problem I have with building is that my photography suffers for a day or so after. Maybe a different hemisphere of my brain is used for each task...come to think of it, the amount of brain cells that have been destroyed by alcohol abuse as a younger man, maybe both my hemispheres should join together?
    Yep, the D50 is a sharp little critter and also a great high ISO body as well, considering the price that is.
  4. did you run that image through some kind of NOISE software?
  5. jaleel

Apr 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    that's pretty sweet!
    more reason for me to get a D50 as a backup
  6. DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    That looks great, Dave! Both the carpentry and the picture of it.

What is that on the right, BTW. Looks like some sort of medeival torture device.

7. Yes

Neat image.
  8. The D50 is a top little camera and definately no slouch for use a backup.

The only draw backs for me ar the slow FPS that ruin it for sport, The lack of white balance functions- kelvin in particular. The controls are way different to my D2X. For instance, scrolling through images is a sideways click on the joystick where the d2x has an up and down motion. But you get what you pay for and in this instance I was ready to train my brain a bit harder to remember to control the different cameras in different ways, quickly. The money spoke!
  9. No, not a medieval torture devise. It is the edge of the staircase. It is stainless steel cables to stop people falling down the stairwell.
  10. jaleel

Apr 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    yeah.. i think the learning curve will be different for me as well.. if i get one i'll only be using it when i go out and do low light stuff.. and as a backup body if i do a paid gig
  11. Very nice - love the low noise at high ISO!

The friend who lent me the 20mm uses a D50 for her digital photography and shoots at high ISO most of the time. I was weird scrolling through her pictures since the control is so different (upside down!)