D50 at the playground

Discussion in 'People' started by Beezle, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Grabbed the D50 on the way out the door today. I thought I would give it a try in one of the situations where I used to use a point n shoot. That is, when I am out and about with my boys, I focus primarily on them and not what's hanging around my neck. For many of these images I don't even have an eye to the viewfinder.

So, I thought I would give these consumer "digi vari programs" a try. Mid afternoon sun. Perpetual motion children. Rough for getting decent shots.

None of these were sharpened. Some cropped. No other processing other than resizing. Straight from the camera.

Fairly extreme range of light.
    [​IMG]

All shadow.
    [​IMG]

HOLD STILL DAGFLABBIT. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Sports mode.
    [​IMG]

Child mode.
    [​IMG]

"Hm, he did knock me down and take my truck from me the other day..."
    [​IMG]

I think the camera handles high dynamic range shots quite well. Even when I just let the camera do the thinking.

Another thing I noticed - D50 images are really hard to compress. These same images from my other cameras would be a lot smaller. More data? More tones?

I think Nikon made a great camera here. Very glad I bought it instead of the next lens. That can wait a few months. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2005
  2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wow, those are some great pictures...
    Maybe I should consider a D50 as a 3rd camera since I just hate changing lens' :cool:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    From image 5 I can see that is a very beautiful park.

Great shots of some VERY BUSY always moving kids. :>)))))))

Keep ya runnin dad. Seems like a great camera to do it with.

Thanks for sharing the info on the camera and the children.

4. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Great images. I got a D50 a few weeks ago as a lightweight alternative to my D2h. It's great for those times when you don't want to carry a lot of gear or be to conspicuous. I used in on the weekend for a photo shoot that I did. I had the 80-400VR on the D2h and 18-70 on the D50. This was a great combo and prevented me from having to make lens changes in the dusty, sandy conditions I was shooting in. The D50 is also great in low light, high ISO conditions over the D2h. I am very pleased with mine and it is also nice to be able to get out of the camera images that don't really need much processing. :smile:

5. Nice shots...I just knew you'd have no regrets with the D50!
    Best
    Peter

6. Great images, I especially like #2 and #5. Well done.