D50 LifePixel Conversion (samples)

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by DAVE VAN, Jul 4, 2007.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    After trying to sell my D50 and finding out it's value wasn't much over $300.00
    I decided to do an IR conversion on it. I bought the filter from LifePixel and did it myself. The step by step instructions are right on and it really wasn't to hard but very nerve racking. It took about an hour total to complete. Here are some samples from Longwood Gardens. Thanks for looking.

original.

View attachment 104041

View attachment 104042

View attachment 104043

View attachment 104044

2. Just curious -- why would you want to sell your D50? Conversion is cool, but I kept mine as a low light camera and for use in situations where my long lenses aren't on stable platforms and the D200 would exhibit more camera shake due to the higher resolution. For example, this photo was taken at 500mm on the pitching deck of a small boat... hand-held with the D50.

[​IMG]

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Super IR shots

No blown highlights..congratulations
    Good job

4. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks Gale. I have a lot to learn. I have found that I can't trust the histogram on the camera. Even when it shows a properly exposed image it looks completely different when looking at levels in PS. I have to expose more to the right.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2007
  5. BassGod

BassGod Guest

Can I ask how much did you spend getting the correct filter for the D50 thru LifePixel? Brilliant IR shots in black and white.

6. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the comments. Here is a link to their D.I.Y. pricing.

Price List

7. BassGod

BassGod Guest

Thank you very much! ... I may have to invest. I have a D50 that I usually only use to shoot IR. My D80 is my main body and my backup for events comes in the form of a brother-in-law with equal equipment on hand at all times.

8. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Good luck on your conversion. You will really like the ability to do IR without the hassle of a tripod, slow shutter, etc.
    The conversion process is doable, but you must be careful. The hardest part is the ribbon connectors. Also be extremely careful that the sensor and the filter are perfectly clean. I was very careful to keep everything clean but I still have a fly speck that shows up. When I get the courage I will take it apart again and re-clean the filter.

9. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    great IR

10. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the comment. I will try and post some more this weekend.:smile:

11. Dave, these are very nice images. Looking forward to your next batch.

12. BassGod

BassGod Guest

Those are very nice images indeed. How is the false color thing with the converted D50? Do you do that much at all with your IR?

13. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I really want to start doing more colored IR images. I have been having trouble setting a custom white balance on my D50. I have tried using a large green surface; (leave,grass, etc) to set the white balance. I must look insane taking a shot of an Elephant Ear leaf a couple dozen times trying to get one that the camera will accept. I desperation I took a shot of some gray gravel and the camera accepted it the first time. The colors looked the same as the one set with the green leaf. I have a lot to learn and not enough time to play. The IR shots that you have on your website look great. Any pointers?

14. BassGod

BassGod Guest

Thank you! ... practice, experiment ... hold really really still (tripod) when you shoot with low ISO to help with noise. Other than that it's just a game we all enjoy playing. Now that you have a converted D50 ... that's something I'm not used to so I'd be afraid to misguide you there.

15. Nice shots. I especially like the first and last. Well done!