D50 or D70s?????????????????????

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by tanglefoot47, Apr 16, 2007.

1. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    I just got my tax return and after splitting the refund with my wife I have enough to buy a second body. My first thought was the D70s but are hard to find and a little more money. I can get the D50 at a good price and I have owned this camera when I switched over from Canon. I liked it a lot but I sold it soon after buying and got the D80 then sold it and now the D200. To me I think I would be very happy with another 50 I remember it as a good camera, great colors, low noise and easy to use. Now I have been racking my brain on which camera to buy. Any one care to share their thoughts?

Mike

2. tanglefoot47

tanglefoot47

Oct 18, 2006
    Tulalip Wa
    Oh I can get a refurb camera for around $529 but not sure about buying a refurb and if anyone cares to share their thoughts on refurbs that would also be a big help.

Mike

3. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I went the refurb route also and have no regrets.

I did the D50 as I prefer its high ISO performance but if thats not an issue for you the D70s offers the additional control wheel, better WB adjustment, and a better histogram.

Even with the reduced controls I still prefer the D50, just like the sensor on that body. Mine is for twilight walkabouts, kayaking, and other uses where I'm going casual and want the smaller file size.

The D50, along with a 20/2.8, 35/2, and a 70-300 VR, makes for a very nice little lightweight kit for various applications. Don't always need D200 horsepower!

While I surely adore the D200, having a D50 around is really nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2007
  4. jaymc

jaymc Guest

PM sent re. D70.

- Jay

5. If I was to go second body having the D200 like you, I'd choose the D50, simply for higher ISO reasons. Some people say that it will take more adjusting too because of the way it is laid out vs. the D200, but that's only important if you're PJ or wedding and are shooting on the fly with both around your neck.

6. zzhangz

zzhangz Guest

D50 is better, 1/500 flash synchronization. Very useful.

7. D70s has 1/500th flash sync as well.

8. My opinion? Save your pennies and buy a second D200. I found that when I tried to use both the D70(s) and the D200 during a couple of shooting sessions that there were enough differences between the two camera bodies to cause frustration. If you were to do it with a D50 and a D200 there would be even more differences and subsequently more frustration, starting with the lack of interchangeability of the memory cards. I am neither a wedding photographer nor a PJ, but there are times when I've shot at events using two cameras and for me it works much better to have both cameras the same or at least reasonably similar....

I was pleasantly surprised this past month when shooting in Alabama with the D200 and the D2Xs that jumping back-and-forth between those two camera bodies wasn't too much of an issue. When I am working fast to capture action or to capture wonderful moments at an event, I don't want to have to stop and fiddle with the camera settings and try to remember, "OK, this is the camera which doesn't have...." or "this is the camera which does have...." or when I need to quickly change out a memory card, have to fumble around ensuring that I've got the right kind of card for the particular camera. YMMV.... this is just my particular experience.

9. I dont have a problem going back and forth between a D70s and D200

I personally think the D50 produces better shots out of the camera with less PP than either one. What finally broke me was the single command dial. I just couldn't get past it and sold it off. I think I'll keep the D70s and pass it on to my son when he gets old enough.... but that's gonna be a long time from now since he hasn't made it here yet... 2.5 months to go... :biggrin:

10. I just purchased a D50 as a backup for the D200. I wanted something that would complement the D200 rather than duplicate it, though Connie makes a valid point about the convenience of switching back and forth. I suppose it depends on your priorities. I chose the D50 for its reputation for excellent high ISO images, smaller file size, ability to use all my lenses (even non-AFS) and need for less post-processing. I plan to use it for low light shooting, as part of a light travel kit and when my daughter wants to shoot.

11. strawman

strawman

Mar 24, 2006
    Missoula, MT
    I'd go with a D70s simply because I wouldn't want to have to invest in SD cards when I already have an abundance of CF.

12. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    2 gigabite SD cards can be had for less than $20 dollars. thats a dinner not an investment. this hasnt been a valid argument for about 2 years now. sorry :p

also as to the iso performance between the two. I have to say this whole thing about D50 being better than D80 and D70 yada yada is just talk from the measurbaters and not really real life issues. I had a D50 and didnt think the iso past 800 was even usable. with a D80 I DO use iso 1600 and my freind just got a D70s and just for kicks we took a few iso 1600 shots and didnt see ANY noise in them. so unless your doing large prints for production (and really need medium format) I really wouldnt worry about the memory cards or iso perforance. just worry about what really matters. can you afford it. will it easily do what you want it to. Nikon makes quality cameras. its why we are all here. no lemons in the digital lineup that I have ever heard about.

end rant :)

13. I agree with Connie. Plus,,,, after getting use to the 10 mp files you will find a time that 6 mp won't be enough. You will sell your 6 mp camera at a loss and buy a 10 mp camera anyway. Ya might as well get another D200 now rather than go through it.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    D200:>))
    I join this bandwagon:>))))