D50 owners restricted to 2G SD cards

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by cajun angel, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Okay, I'm all excited about my trip to VA in Oct and don't wanna run out of memory! Well, yesterday I buoght a 4G card for my D50. 4G CARDS DO NOT WORK IN A D50! So, if anyone who has a D50 and is planning on buying some extra SD cards, don't go any bigger than 2G. I confirmed this with Nikon technical support. I wish the salesman would have known to tell that before buying!:frown:

Okay, just had to vent a bit! :redface:

2. Sorry Dianne. Send it back. Moving this thread to DSLR forum

3. Yeah, that's a bummer because even 2Gb fill up fast when shooting raw.

4. Thanks Dave! I didn't know where this should go! Gee you're a great mod!:smile:

5. On the good note, I'm taking the card back and this time the manager will help me - guess I'm limited to buying 2G or 1G cards. Glad I got my P2000!

6. Even though I next to always shoot RAW on my D200, I don't like these new big cards. Too much tied up on one wafer of silicon. I use one and two gig cards so all my eggs aren't in one basket. Bit of a pain in the butt, but all you have to do is lose one cardful....

Bruce

7. Well, I ended up paying $10 extra to buy 2 2G cards and got a free cardholder. Guess I better be sure I stay stocked up on batteries!

8. I feel the same way; it took me a long time to move up to larger cards, but I would rather have two 4 GB cards than one 8 GB card or four 4 GB cards or two 8 GB cards rather than one 16 GB card. I shoot RAW with the D2Xs and the D200 and my largest cards are 8 GB.

9. NOPE:

4 GB work in my D50 just fine!

JohnG

10. What brand? I got the Lexar high speed, professional. I even called Nikon tech support and even they said it wouldn't work. All I got when I inserted the card and tried to format it was a blinking "CHA" or something like that.

11. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Two 2gig SanDisk Ultra II cards for $40.00 at Calumet Photographic....no sales tax and a very small shipping charge. This is an outstanding deal.

12. Hi Dianne

It's a Ridata SD card. Works perfecto.

I'm thinking real hard here but I think I had to format the card in my card reader before the camera would recognize it. I also recall reading somewhere that Nikon's official stance is that 4 GB cards don't work even though a quick net search verifies the opposite. Go figure!

LOL............ the card is currently packed away in my wifes Yellowstone backpacking gear bag for a trip on Wed morning. If I could get to the card without her killing me I would verify the format issue. :866:

Good luck
    JohnG

13. I beleive there is quite a bit of information on this topic around the web. From what I have read, you have to format the SD card through your PC and not using the camera. Doing this will allow you to use a 4gb card on your D50.

Here is the first hit I got just using the yahoo search engine, and their is plenty more under it:
    http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dc...read&om=15731&forum=DCForumID201&viewmode=all

It looks like the trick is to use the PC and format the card with FAT32.

14. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    The issue is with official SDHC 4gb cards which will not work in the D50 and unofficial SD 4gb cards made by certain manufacturers which are beyond the SD spec which do work.

15. Exactly. However, the D50 cannot format cards over 4GB - so if you do use a 4GB SD (*not* SDHC) then format on your computer.

16. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    I have a 4gb Ridata (not SDHC) in my D50 right now. As others have said, it can't be formatted in camera. Just format it on your PC and you are good to go.

17. Well, the 4G has already been exchanged. I guess I boobooed by not coming here first. I don't have a clue as to how to format the SD card on my computer anyway. I"ve learned a valuable lesson through this and thank ya'll for your input!

18. LAW2

LAW2

Oct 24, 2006
    JAX
    I have no proof of this but I always thought it was better to in camera format than to use your computer. Does it matter?

19. Good question! Hope someone answers it!

20. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I jumped on that yesterday. I was looking to pay twice that in May but decided to wait. I'm glad that I did!