1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D50 owners - what memory cards does it take ?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by crashmeister, Sep 17, 2008.

1. I bought a D50 on fleaBay for the better half. It arrives tomorrow. I need to get a memory card, but I don't know what it takes (some sort of SD card, I think).

SD ? SDHC ? Other ?

Thanks,

2. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    SD only, not SDHC.

It supports up to 2GB regular SD cards.

3. Thanks dude, I'll pick one up tomorrow.

4. Bill N

Bill N Guest

I have one and I think the largest card that works well is the 2GB, non SDHC. Some have luck getting larger cards to work but I never have been able to even get non SDHC cards larger than 2GB to work right. They don't seem to play well with my PC or camera. Have fun, great little camera for sure!

5. Definitely no SDHC cards.

6. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Some 4GB SD (not SDHC) cards work, but because they're out of the official SD specification there are no guarentees.

7. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Unless your other half is shooting loads then a 2gb card should be plenty, that's all I have with my D50 and I never manage to fill it.

8. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I think its around 550 Large Fine JPEGs with a 2GB card.

9. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    FYI, shooting RAW on my D50, an empty 2GB SD card displays 269 free shots.

10. I usually end up with just over 300 total RAW files on my 2gb card. But yes - it does show about 260ish free shots with an empty card ...

11. Thanks to all who responded. I picked up a Sandisk Extreme-III 2Gb card at Staples for $20.

Camera has arrived and the instruction has begun. The student is a little overwhelmed but I'm sure that will wear off once she starts shooting and seeing the results. I've started her in 'Auto' with the 50mm f1.8 to get her going.

Thanks,

12. Get out of "auto" - all your using it as then is a glorified P&S. Put it in AV mode and start learning what aperture does.

Have fun with the learning - it gets frustrating at first - but once things start to click - the curve goes fast.

13. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Auto is a good place to start for a complete novice though, and I still use it when I don't want to worry about apertures or exposures. But do quickly move onto A priority before she gets too comfortable with Auto so she gets the hang of DoF, especially with the 50mm f/1.8 which should give you quite a large range of DoF.

14. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    4gb SD cards will work, but cannot be formatted in camera. Must be formatted with PC.

15. This is my wife we are talking about. It's a bloody miracle I can get her to pick up the camera, let alone press the shutter :smile:

This is going to take baby steps... and a long time. It really is a case of me taking the horse to the water and hoping like hell it'll drink :rolleyes: 

16. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Don't push her too hard, you don't want her contracting NAS and sneaking off with the "good glass"!

17. bingo............ that's the correct answer. :cool: 

18. Exactly. When the camera arrived, it took me quite a while to decide which lens to start her off with. I went with the 50mm because it's light and simple, and told her to zoom with her feet.

19. I carry a 1GB and a 2GB card with me at all times. I've managed to fill both a few times... :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.