D50 Problem

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by tommyc, Jun 18, 2007.

1. tommyc

tommyc

May 2, 2006
    Georgia
    I've had the camera for a little over a year now and its always taken great pics. Lately, I've noticed a lot of what looks like noise in almost every photo I take.

This photo was taken yesterday, its a 100% crop. no PP, only NEF to jpg.
    http://tdc.smugmug.com/gallery/2782679#164252847-L-LB

Anybody have any ideas? I'm starting to think that either I'm not as smart as I thought I was or something is actually wrong the camera.

2. what's wrong with that picture?

it's a 100% crop, you have shadows, and it's a 100% crop. What does the whole picture look like at the size you intend to publish it?

3. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    1-Can you set the D50 temporarily to jPeg + RAW? To eliminate the possibility of an error in your RAW conversion, check the jpeg (Large / Fine) directly from the D50.

2-Check your ISO setting. What is it?

3- Is ISO set to AUTO?

4-Are you shooting in A, S, P, or M? (I suspect an underexposure). 100% crop is ambitious if lighting is low and you underexpose your subject. I suspect that is it, and that there is nothing wrong with your D50.

Best of luck to you!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2007
  4. tommyc

tommyc

May 2, 2006
    Georgia
    1 - The noise is present in the RAW file.

2 - ISO 400

3 - No

4 - AP mode. Nice sunny day. The crop was only to point out the area in question.

The issue seems to have gotten better after I performed a reset as described in Thom Hogans D50 ebook which still leads me to think that the camera may have an issue.

5. One question, why shoot at iso400 if it was a nice sunny day, the higher the iso the more noise. When you did the reset it would have dropped the iso back to 200 so the noise will be less.

6. Same thing happened on my old D70, seems almost like one day I shot with it and there's just noise everywhere.

7. tommyc

tommyc

May 2, 2006
    Georgia
    I borrowed my brothers D50 yesterday and took some test shots off of a tripod with both cameras using the same lens, settings etc... There is definitely something wrong the camera. Once my D80 arrives, I'll send if off for a tune-up before giving it to my wife.

8. That pic looks underexposed. ??? Can you post a screen grab of the histogram?

Regards
    JohnG