1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D50 Problems - What's wrong with my camera?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by greg.luke, Jul 21, 2008.

1. My d50 recently started acting up. :eek: 

My wife was using the camera and described seeing a very slow-moving (say 1/4 to 1/2 of a second) opening and closing of the image through the viewfinder when taking a picture earlier this week. I also noticed that the image through the viewfinder disappeared when taking a picture, then sort of slowly shifted back up into place. It doesn't happen all the time, maybe every 10-20 clicks, so we don't have a real strong sense of what we are even seeing, but something is definitely awry.

I haven't had a chance to import the photos yet, but they look fine on the LCD. At worst they are a little blurry.

I'm assuming this is some sort of problem with the mirror or shutter actuation mechanics, but I don't know much about the internal functioning of the d50 or if this would be a common problem. Any ideas on what it could be? Anything I can do to test?

The camera is just under 2 years old, and has approx. 10k actuations. I was using it with a nikkor 18-200 VR and SB-600 when these problems arose.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Thanks Nick. I'll check that when I get home, but I doubt it's the problem. The mirror doesn't seem to be tilted away from the viewfinder for particularly long, it just seems like it is moving slowly as it tilts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.