D50 Problems - What's wrong with my camera?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by greg.luke, Jul 21, 2008.

1. My d50 recently started acting up. :eek:

My wife was using the camera and described seeing a very slow-moving (say 1/4 to 1/2 of a second) opening and closing of the image through the viewfinder when taking a picture earlier this week. I also noticed that the image through the viewfinder disappeared when taking a picture, then sort of slowly shifted back up into place. It doesn't happen all the time, maybe every 10-20 clicks, so we don't have a real strong sense of what we are even seeing, but something is definitely awry.

I haven't had a chance to import the photos yet, but they look fine on the LCD. At worst they are a little blurry.

I'm assuming this is some sort of problem with the mirror or shutter actuation mechanics, but I don't know much about the internal functioning of the d50 or if this would be a common problem. Any ideas on what it could be? Anything I can do to test?

The camera is just under 2 years old, and has approx. 10k actuations. I was using it with a nikkor 18-200 VR and SB-600 when these problems arose.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Thanks Nick. I'll check that when I get home, but I doubt it's the problem. The mirror doesn't seem to be tilted away from the viewfinder for particularly long, it just seems like it is moving slowly as it tilts.