D50 repaired under warranty, Yaa! (+ minor comparison vs the D70s)

Last year I bought a D50, and after almost exactly a year (and 24,000 pictures in some pretty nasty dusty conditions) It started to mess up on me, The jog dial wasn't always responsive, and every 40 pics or so I would get a picture that was seriously overexposed or underexposed, The final straw was when half way through shooting I got an F-- error on a lens that was perfectly fine.

SO I sent it away through London Drugs (Where I bought it, though the warranty was the basic 2 year Nikon warranty). And 3 weeks 4 days later I get a phone call, and my Camera is in! (Pretty quick considering I never called them to ask about it and just let them take care of it, Also London Drugs said 4-10 weeks... Which scared me truthfully)

Picked it up today, After they replaced the "flash Circuitry and a Switch" (probably the jog dial)
I assumed it was a shutter issue at first, but I guess the whole metering system was kaputs. (Interesting Note, the shutter actuations are 204 more than when i sent them the camera)

In the 3 weeks I still had my D70s, which I had to use exclusively, so now that i've tried both by themselves for a decent period of time I figure I'm more qualified to compare them. Some little things suprised me.

D70s's noise is IMO bad compared to the D50, Even at ISO 400 I can clearly see a difference, And anything above 800 gives me issues in Photoshop to deal with.
Also Saturation is obviously cranked up on the D50 vs the D70, But I don't find this a problem, in fact I prefer the D50's saturation (Even in photoshop bringing out the colors on D70 pictures is quite difficult for me, And I'm not one to oversaturate a picture)

The 2.5 and 3 Fps is definitely noticeable, (Score one for the D70s)
Also I had forgotten how terribly innacurate the D50 is on White Balance indoors, It's always extremely red, That bothers me now, but never used to. (Another bonus for the D70s and its WB Accuracy and tweaking)
Also While the D70s appears to underexpose to save the highlights, The D50 does the opposite, at 0.0 you WILL have blown whites, Took some getting used to on the D70s, But I prefer the D70 method now.

The Rear LCD on the D50 is much clearer and visible at a wider range of angles than the D70s, This is actually a big problem under daylight, its quite difficult to judge focus accuracy and check for motion blur.

As for ergonomics I was never a fan of the CF card door on the D70s, just feels like its in your way, And the rounded edges on the D50 feel more natural, Its more comfortable to me.

Af Assist light is much better on the D70s, And it seems like the built in flash is more powerfull? (Score another point for the D70s for its Wireless commander mode!)

So overall I still like my D50 better, Mostly because I'm a low light junkie and love the D50's noise (or lack off). And am certainly glad to have it back!

Pics aren't really a comparison, just posting them to liven up this otherwsie opinionated thread (Both taken with the same Sigma 18-200mm lens)

D50 Before I sent it in
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D70s while it was gone.

Also just tacking on to this thread, Put three pics up for display in a gallery today (First Time i've ever put up art for sale, Though i've sold many pics before to friends or for sports), The gallery has a strange way of charging commision, They Want to frame what you bring in (not sure what they would do for Framed photo's) and subtract the cost of the frame from the sold artwork (And the Tax (which is 13%)) And you get the rest.
Frame prices aren't even overinflated to Cross subsidize, She quoted me $80 CAD for a 42" x 18" Metal frame with a single matte (cut for 12x36). (cheapest i've ever payed for a Frame that size was $61, And i had to put it together and do all the ordering myself)
Heres the pics that I put up.

My favorite, (I have 2 copies alone framed in my house, and 4 extra prints lying around)

This pic at 12x18 (suprisingly you only notice the noise in the print when carefully scrutinizing it, (ISO 1600!))

And an 8x12 of this (she actually requested it, I wasn't planning on putting it up)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom