d50 third party battery grip

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by TheHundreds, Jul 12, 2008.

1. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    This battery grip takes 2 EN-EL3 battery packs and is ideal in situations where a large number of shots are to be taken or in low temperatures. At the bottom of the grip there is a tripod jack for fixing it with a D50 on a tripod. It comes with a detailed English instructional manual showing you how to install it on the D50. With this battery grip, long hour shooting is no more a problem!

This is a professional one different from other D50 battery grip! With this one, the user can make vertical shutter! There is an infrared signal transmitter on the grip (see picture 6 above), it can trigger the D50 easily, and before using, the camera should be set on IR mode!

What does IR mode mean?

2. "IR" is infrared. In this case it is the IR receiver on the front of the camera just below the shutter release. You activate the remote release by holding the self timer button down and rotating the command dial until you have the remote icon in the LCD display. You can now receive the remote IR signal and actuate the shutter.

Option #20 in the setup menu has the timeout values for the remote. The default is 1 minute. You may set the timeout for longer periods of time. However you should be aware that battery life will be affected. The camera uses more power while the remote (IR) receiver is on and waiting for a signal from the remote transmitter.

Max

3. I don't think battery life is much of an issue . I used my D50 at a mountain bike event and took 3000 pictures without the battery indicator showing half yet , I charged it anyway at this point and took another 1000 pictures .

4. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    Can shoot all day with one battery on a D0. Carry an extra if you want. A grip on a D50 is more for the feel - but most people want the D50 BECAUSE it's small. Almost counterproductive.

I use a grip on a D50 more to bring the extra batteries onto a plane..... you then have two in the camera and two spares. No hassles that way about excess batteries. But the grip rarely stays on once we're someplace. DW carries it with an 18-200.

5. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    DW?
    i like the feel and vertical shooting.
    But do you think it's not much useful those 2 features?

6. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    DW - shorthand for 'dearest wife'

Having a few different bodies in the family so to speak allows comparisons. My wife prefers a smaller body - lighter easier to carry. Was a bit disapointed in the D40 not being able to use some of the 'fun' lenses like the 50/1.4 - though she tends to leave the 18-200 on it most of the time. Adding a battery grip turns the D50 into what it wasn't - a larger body. If you only have one body and prefer the size/configuration, a grip is fine on the D50 but IMO (in my opinion) it turns the D50 into what most people bought it for NOT being.

As noted, we've got a battery grip for the D50 - and D70 and D200. It's NEEDED for battery life on the D200 though it makes it larger and heavier than it already is. I prefer it with the grip myself - like the feel.... but it IS much larger and heavier. DW finds it FAR too heavy and large, hence her preference for the 50 over even the D70. Ionic because she was much more the photographer than I when we met. Decades later I'm the one carrying the lens assortment.....lol.