D50 to D1x

Hello all... as of recently, I've been wanting to make a step up from the D50 that I now currently have. I want to step up in cameras, but am not wanting to spend the couple thousand $$'s on a new D3, D300, D700, etc. I have been looking at the D1x, and am starting to think that maybe this is the way to go. Do you guys agree? And recommendations?

Hi Ethan. I'm curious as to why you feel this is a step up? Yes, the build quality is better, but the D1x is an old, old camera, by digital standards anyway. How much can you afford to spend? I believe there would be a newer used or even brand new camera for the money you want to spend that would out perform the D1x.

Hi Ethan,

maybe we can focus our comments if you tell us what you think you're missing or what you don't like about your D50...

Why aren't you considering a D200?

Hello all... as of recently, I've been wanting to make a step up from the D50 that I now currently have. I want to step up in cameras, but am not wanting to spend the couple thousand $$'s on a new D3, D300, D700, etc. I have been looking at the D1x, and am starting to think that maybe this is the way to go. Do you guys agree? And recommendations?

The D50 has good high iso capabilities compared to the D1X , D70S and D200. I really believe that aside from the lack of focus motor the D40 is a step up in processing and iso control . Otherwise 6 meg is more than enough and I don't think you can do that much better than it . A D200 responds slower to displaying images if you chimp a lot and only gets about 500 shots on a battery compared to the D50's 2700 .

Megapixels really don't matter to me, because I never print on large pieces of paper. I will not go to a D40, come hell or high water, I don't like the fact that I would have to buy one type of glass for it. I already have glass that I like, and if I went to a D40, I would have to sell my lenses that I currently have. Also, the D1x has a vertical shutter, which IMO would be awesome. I do some weddings with my sister, and I just think it would make it so much easier if I had one. The D50 is just too small for my hands, and I heard the D1x is a solid build, where I don't really feel that way with my D50. Continuous shutter is another important thing, my D50 just doesn't seem like it can shoot that fast when I'm covering sporting events, especially baseball and basketball. When it comes to these sporting events, I like to change my aperture, and shutter speeds with speed. With the D50, I have to look down, press a separate button for the aperture, then adjust. Too much time for me. The D200 would be nice for sure, but this is too much $$ for me as well, especially when I'd have to add on a vertical shutter/battery.

Megapixels really don't matter to me, because I never print on large pieces of paper. I will not go to a D40, come hell or high water, I don't like the fact that I would have to buy one type of glass for it. I already have glass that I like, and if I went to a D40, I would have to sell my lenses that I currently have. Also, the D1x has a vertical shutter, which IMO would be awesome. I do some weddings with my sister, and I just think it would make it so much easier if I had one. The D50 is just too small for my hands, and I heard the D1x is a solid build, where I don't really feel that way with my D50. Continuous shutter is another important thing, my D50 just doesn't seem like it can shoot that fast when I'm covering sporting events, especially baseball and basketball. When it comes to these sporting events, I like to change my aperture, and shutter speeds with speed. With the D50, I have to look down, press a separate button for the aperture, then adjust. Too much time for me. The D200 would be nice for sure, but this is too much $$ for me as well, especially when I'd have to add on a vertical shutter/battery.

I think you've pretty much answered your own questions Ethan. You want a vertical grip and a pro feel. And the D200 (even used?) is too much, then an older pro model is it for you.

You can probably get 1/2 the price of a used D200 from the Cafe if you sell your D50 - then toss the battery grip and you've got a newer camera with a vertical shutter release....

but then again we have no idea what you're looking to spend

Ethan-

I suspect you will find the D1x, actually out in the real world, will result in images that are a step down in quality from what you have been getting in out of the D50.

From your requirements, I would recommend looking for a D2h.

Lawrence

I don't know why people are knocking the D1X, it's a Nikon Flagship camera. I used to dream about owning a D1X. I've owned the D2h and image quality is nowhere near as nice as the D1X. Colors are rich and saturated. It's built like a freaking tank. Just make sure to get multiple batteries. The other nice thing about it is that it flash sync's at 1/500th without resorting to some crappy FP flash.

It's a camera with limitations, but it's definitely a body that forces you to think about your photography and can yield impressive photos. Buy one and enjoy!

I don't know why people are knocking the D1X, it's a Nikon Flagship camera. I used to dream about owning a D1X. I've owned the D2h and image quality is nowhere near as nice as the D1X. Colors are rich and saturated. It's built like a freaking tank. Just make sure to get multiple batteries. The other nice thing about it is that it flash sync's at 1/500th without resorting to some crappy FP flash.

It's a camera with limitations, but it's definitely a body that forces you to think about your photography and can yield impressive photos. Buy one and enjoy!

I'm not knocking it. But by today's standards it's outdated. It doesn't make it a bad camera, just outdated. If it serves your purpose then that's all that matters. Now that we know more about what Ethan wants, it seems like it may be the way to go for him.

I've taken more images with a D1X than with all my other camera bodies combined. It is an excellent camera with a unique sensor that gives images a very painterly look that many of us like. Very large prints are a breeze. I very fine camera but I wouldn't give up the D50 if you need high ISO capability.

I chose the d2h over d1, a choice i can recomend as the d2h is cheap and a superb camera for very little money..

I like my D1x very much. When I got mine, the D2h was the top camera and I could not afford it. Personally, for the type of photography I do, the D1x fit my needs the best. It has a small file size even if you shoot RAW and the interpolated 10MP is an advantage. I like the color rendition the camera reproduces as well as its build quality. The 2 downers are the battery life and the limited ISO. But as I said, I shoot outdoor things and for me I just carry extra battries and shoot no higher than ISO 400. The frame rate is still low (3fps) but with the buffer upgrade, you can store more in the buffer before the camera says no more. I have shot an air race with my D1x and it did do well. All in all, I like my D1x's. It is a great camera and a decent choice as an "upgrade" from the smaller D series consumer/prosumer cameras. If you don't believe me, look in my SmugMug gallery below.

God Bless,
David

I'm a recent D1X owner, stepping from a D70. Here's my experiences:

Pros:
• Vertical Shutter is amazing. I will never own another camera without one.
• Build Quality is absolutely outstanding. I finally have a camera that equals the build quality of my 180mm and 300mm lenses.
• AF speed will drive nearly any screw-driven lens faster than you can imagine.
• Viewfinder is big and bright. Way easier to manually focus a lens.
• Metering with AI and AIS lenses is VERY handy
• Images have rather film-like quality to them. This has been talked about elsewhere, and after owning one, I definitely agree.

Cons:
• High ISO is pretty bad. Up around 800-1600, you'll definitely see a difference from your D50. This isn't so much a con for me, since I love grainy images :smile:
• Battery life is laughable. Take 2-3 batteries with you at all times, and keep buying new ones.
• Menu system is a little funky. ISO1600 and 3200 are only accessible via a CSM FUNC
• RAW shooting is rather slow without the buffer upgrade. (I have a buffer-upgrade in mine, and its pretty snappy)
• Not all RAW processors treat D1X RAW files the same. Camera RAW and Lightroom, which are supposed to be based on the same code, treat the same RAW completely differently. Camera RAW sees it as a 5.3MP image, and Lightroom sees a 10MP image.
• 10MP images aren't super sharp if you pixel peep. Prints look great though!
• Limited to 2GB CF cards.

That's about all I can think of right now. If megapixels don't matter to you, the D1X is awesome. But be prepared to carry several batteries and CF cards with you. And also, try to get one with a buffer upgrade.

I'm most certainly going to be keeping my D1X for a long time to come. It handles better than any camera I've owned and is a true workhorse that churns out great looking images, especially at low(er) ISOs.

I have actually thought about getting a D1X
but the D80 higher ISO perfromance made me keep my D50 for such times
now that the D300 is incoming, I might make the D50 to D1X switch myself
anyone know the going rate for a decent condition one ?

Frank - A used D1X will run you between $375-500 depending on condition. Mine was in 8.5/10 condition (shutter count estimated at under 10,000) and a very clean body with buffer upgrade for $450.

thanks David
and the batteries are what $40 or so I guess?
which model # if you don't mind....

Latest threads

Top Bottom