D500 + 16-80

Real Name
Randy
what a combo for walking around. And wow can you recover skies from the D500 sensor, who knew. Sharpness from a distance is most impressive as is focus

Some snaps, all HH, no filters, this is plenty good enough for me, especially considering the comfort factor. I'm going to wait on a Z

I'm going to Italy in a few weeks for the 4th time. The 1st 3 times were with big bodies and several fx lenses. I didn't have fun. This time I'm taking the D500 + 16-80 and that's it. I never thought I'd go lighter but I never thought lighter could be this good. Nikon has come along way with DX

I also shot most of these with a D850 + 24-70 on a tripod. I haven't even looked at them but I'll have some good comparisons.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

still too early for colors, i'm going back soon

lots of xmas tree farms

Handsome looking fellow in 5--too bad his feet don't touch the ground!
Nice stuff. I'm doing Belgium with my D850, 16-35 f4., and 50 1.8. It'n not a photo trip, per se, but I don't want to be futsing around with too much stuff and my shoulders can use the help.

Real Name
Randy
Handsome looking fellow in 5--too bad his feet don't touch the ground!
Nice stuff. I'm doing Belgium with my D850, 16-35 f4., and 50 1.8. It'n not a photo trip, per se, but I don't want to be futsing around with too much stuff and my shoulders can use the help.
thanks Nick
I considered a D850 + 24-120 or 24-70 but I'll have more fun this way

I've never used the new 16-80, but my old 16-85 from D90 days is terrific with the D500. My old 70-300VR has gotten new life.

If you want FX and smaller size, lower weight, try the 24-85VR. The D810 with 24-85VR isn't much different than the D500 with 16-85 - makes for a nice choice.

That is one mighty fine Beagle you have there!!!!

I agree with traveling light with the D500 and one lens

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"hi Chrissie!!! " - Georgie Beagle

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
That 16-80 is a sweet lens. I have one, and it's fantastic. Your photos are wonderful and you and the Mrs.(??) look great!!

I'm going to Italy in a few weeks for the 4th time. The 1st 3 times were with big bodies and several fx lenses. I didn't have fun. This time I'm taking the D500 + 16-80 and that's it. I never thought I'd go lighter but I never thought lighter could be this good. Nikon has come along way with DX
A wise move, imo. The comfort factor you mentioned became a given for me several years ago.

Real Name
Randy
Do you believe the 16-80 on DX is better/sharper than the 24/120 on FX ?

I like very much the focal length of my 24-120 on D810, but I must agree that it's not "that" sharp ;) !
Oh boy is it. My wife focused on my beagle at a long distance and her face is very sharp. The picture of the 'make cheese' was sharp across the frame. I really like the D500 for this stuff since I don't need the crazy shutter speeds I normally need for sports and wildlife my ISOs are low and in a good range for the D500. The VR on the lens is amazing and AF on the D500 adds a lot of snap and that LCD. I never noticed how light the ungripped d500 is. This has been a big surprise to me but that's good to

Real Name
Randy
That is one mighty fine Beagle you have there!!!!

I agree with traveling light with the D500 and one lens

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"hi Chrissie!!! " - Georgie Beagle
they age well
That 16-80 is a sweet lens. I have one, and it's fantastic. Your photos are wonderful and you and the Mrs.(??) look great!!
thanks Lyndee, yes that's my wife

My D500/16-80 lives in my vehicle for unexpected fall colors and it does extremely well. I believe it's sharper than my D850/24-120 so much so that my 24-120 is being shipped off to my son. Now the D850/24-70, that's another story but not something I would want to haul around on vacation.
One suggestion Randy, do your lens corrections in PS as opposed to in body. I like the results much better. You ARE going to show us some snaps from Italia right? :)

Randy,
Glad you got your Italy gear sorted out. The D500/16-80 sure makes a nice combo (it replaced my D850/24-120 setup). Like you I have the 24-70 which is terrific on the D850 but the D500/16-80 makes a nice sweet travel setup. At some point I'll replace that travel kit with a Z cam and lens(es) but for now it's a pretty decent combo. Have fun in Italy...

Many people have switched over to FX for a variety of reasons - I still like the old DX format since it's a fine balance for weight and image quality. I think we sometimes forget that Nikon (and other makers) still rely on the cropped-body formats for its bread and butter sales - but it's good we have a choice. Randy, great work as always. Thanks for sharing.

My go to travel kit is a D7200, 16-80, a 2lb Sirui CF tripod, and basic filters. If I'm going someplace with expectation of also shooting a few birds/wildlife I thrown in either the 300PF and 1.4x or the 80-400. When we go to Europe we usually spend half the trip cycling so instead of the above I carry a Sony a6000, 18-55, 55-200, and Sirui/filters. The a6000 has the same sensor as the 7200 with pretty darn good DR. Definitely adequate for travel photos. And as stated in the thread above for most travel shots ISO can be kept low for overall IQ. For Europe travel I've also quit taking a laptop along. I get by with chimping to check comp and histo and just wait till I get home for culling/editing. In addition to the benefit of a lighter kit I spend less time looking at photos and more time looking at my bride so she's happier too. It's all good :D

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom