1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D500 Firmware Update

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Baywing, Apr 23, 2019.

1. I wonder if the SnapBridge connection is any better now? I'll have to update my D500's when I get home.

2. I will update and try it again. Never could get it to work and had to resort to using an Eye-Fi card which are no longer available.

My D750 never has a problem with the old WMU app. Not sure why Nikon moved away from it.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Yes, I've found SnapBridge to be useless on the D500. Frustrating really, as it's nice to be able to pull across a JPEG for a quick phone-edit and then post to social media or send to friends/family.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Thanks for posting.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Be sure to read the instructions, this update must be installed TWICE!

6. Have to grab this upgrade. I have had mine "stop responding" now and then after shooting a burst. Rarely happens but did occur at a few critical times. I blamed the grip but maybe just the firmware issue.

7. Well it is Nikon after all. Not sure where they find their software engineers.

8. If I ever told my boss that our customers would have to install my code 2x I woulda been fired
    Hard to believe

• Agree Agree x 8
  9. Nikon does note the firmware needs to be installed twice if upgrading from firmware version 1.00 through 1.12, as it will show an update error the first time around (which is normal, according to Nikon).

10. Has anyone updated their D500? Is SnapBridge any better?

I generally don't update my camera if the update doesn't benefit me (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). However, if Nikon has finally managed to get it working properly at 3 years, I would "roll the dice" and update both of my cameras.

11. I'm going to try and update mine tonight. One I get off work I have an hour and a half before I have to hit the soccer pitch.

I've found snapbridge to work well on the Z6, so of they can get there with the D500, that would be awesome.

12. Updated mine tonight.

Snapbridge works for downloading photos via Wi-Fi now in a controlled environment. I will have to see how it works in the field this weekend. It takes about 30 seconds for SnapBridge to connect to D500 via Wi-Fi. About the same as the Eye-Fi cards I used. Once connected, I can scroll through the photos on the camera, select the ones I want and download. I can select a 2MP size or full resolution. I would only need the 2MP size during a sporting event. The pics download very fast.

What I like about it is that I do not have to use my iPhone's Setting/Wi-Fi to first verify a connection. SnapBridge does that internally.

I am elated. It will be interesting how the SnapBridge Wi-Fi connection works in a stadium full of other Wi-Fi networks and smart phones. Eye-Fi and WMU would slow way down in transferring under those conditions..

I have not tested remote capabilities. I'll leave that to one of you. :) 

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. I was able to successfully update both of my D500’s. Unfortunately, SnapBridge is still a piece of garbage.

I even did a full reset of the paired devices from my iPhone, and his is what i get when tying to set up one of the recently update cameras.

D74AEBE4-ED28-4725-92E4-B0CF99D02BFB.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

14. Just tested the new firmware with Snapbridge.

Pixel 2 XL latest Android build. Works flawlessly, like on the Z6. Very happy with the performance. Super quick previews and was able to download images quickly. Bluetooth connectivity and Wi-Fi both functioned as I expected them to.

15. It must be the fact that I'm on an iPhone then. Latest iOS, but the camera has an extremely difficult time successfully pairing with the phone.

16. perhaps that is the case. Bummer, though....as developers generally have a more stable version on iOS before they do on Android.

17. I have the 2XL also, is yours on Pie or Q?

18. Have you removed ("Forget This Device") the D500 in BT Settings? Try that prior to trying to re-pair the phone after the update.

If that doesn't help, try this: remove any connections with the D500 in BT settings, then go to SETTINGS -> GENERAL -> RESET and Tap the RESET NETWORK SETTINGS and do a reset. Your phone will do a restart on its own. I have used this several times in the past to resolve both BT, cell, and Wifi connection issues and each time it has been quite successful. FWIW - this is also step 1 if you call AppleCare with a networking or BT linking problem, so ....

NOTE: Don't tap the other resets as you may end up with a "new" phone as they can clear everything on your phone!! There will be dire warnings that popup!! If you're just resetting the network, just say OK!!

NOTE 2: After reseting your network settings, you will need to rejoin your wifi network, so make sure you have your password handy. It also resets your phone's name to "iPhone" so if you have a specific name already, as I do (Ken's iPhone XR) you'll need to re-enter that in the ABOUT section (helps me ID who's phone is connected in our car ... mine or my wife's!). Although the reset does clear wifi network info, it will not clear established BT connections. Problem BT connections must be removed manually ("Forget this device" in BT settings).

Ken

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.