D500 Fort Desoto May 2017

Real Name
Mark Smith
This past may, I used a really cool strategy that made for an incredible day of bird photography. A very strong storm front was moving in from the north. As luck would have it, this storm front would be moving directly over a major bird migration flyway during the last few days of spring migration.

As this line of storms moved over the Gulf of Mexico it pushed a large amount of migratory birds inland. These are birds that typically fly over the ocean in order to go north and because of this, these birds aren't always seen on land. I was lucky enough to get more than enough great photos. Here's a video of the experience.

Here's my favorite shot of the day, A Bay Breasted Warbler JPG straight out of the camera.

p2601779933-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

• p2601779933.jpg
    p2601779933.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 129
Real Name
Randy
pretty picture

I love to go all the way back on north beach and shoot from the shallow water. There's almost always a beautiful reddish egret back there.

Real Name
Mark Smith
pretty picture

I love to go all the way back on north beach and shoot from the shallow water. There's almost always a beautiful reddish egret back there.
I've heard of that Reddish Egret. This was the only time I have been over there. I would love to spend a week over there camping. Might have to now that there is some cooler weather coming in.

Real Name
Randy
I've heard of that Reddish Egret. This was the only time I have been over there. I would love to spend a week over there camping. Might have to now that there is some cooler weather coming in.
the famous one is the morph. I've seen her a few times....

Real Name
Randy
They are one of my favorite birds to photograph. I'll have to spend some more time over there.
get there before sunrise and get setup. If you're there before them they don't seem to mind as much. We had 1 red and 1 tricolored for an hour at sunrise, it was one of those moments you never forget. The entire hour they both fished in front of us. I was shooting a D500 + 500/4 + 1.4TC so we did stay far back or should I say they landed far away since we were already there.

p2599619226-4.jpg

p2599601392-4.jpg

p2599619224-4.jpg

Real Name
Mark Smith
get there before sunrise and get setup. If you're there before them they don't seem to mind as much. We had 1 red and 1 tricolored for an hour at sunrise, it was one of those moments you never forget. The entire hour they both fished in front of us. I was shooting a D500 + 500/4 + 1.4TC so we did stay far back or should I say they landed far away since we were already there.

View attachment 1589579
View attachment 1589580
View attachment 1589581
Those are just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Now I really have to go!

This is one of the White Reddish Egrets that hang out in the lagoon.

1524b.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom