1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D500 Images, post them here, a companion to ....

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Retief, Apr 22, 2016.

1. My post of July 2014 for the D810!

I started that with Lola, so I guess I should start this the same way, this time a High ISO shot for good measure:

Lola at ISO 6400
    DSC_0268.
    NIKON D500    ---    65mm    f/4.5    1/20s    ISO 6400

I followed that up with a rather mundane Sea Gull shot, this time I can do better with this Osprey picture
    p1978993816-5.
    NIKON D500    ---    600mm    f/5.0    1/2000s    ISO 800

That thread has continued on, let's see if this one can have the same type of longevity. We need to show those FX'ers that we DX'ers are just as darned good and relevant :D 

2. ^ I'm confused! You're reposting your original D810 images or are these from the 500. Not that it matters much to me I'm just passing away the midnight hour :) 

3. These are the new D500 shots. I just figured that since the first 2 shots I posted with the D810 were my dog and a bird, I'd keep up the tradition :ROFLMAO:  Midnight? What the heck, it is only 4PM! Must be that Guinness stuff getting to you ....

4. turboBB

turboBB

Feb 28, 2013
    NJ, USA
    Bill, good to see you getting nicely acquainted with your D500, thx for sharing!

5. Nice to have Ospreys so readily available. Looking forward to more from you seeing as we all lived through your waiting period!
    Guinness is purely a breakfast refreshment much too late at this hour. :) 

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. stphoto

stphoto

Feb 8, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    The obligatory cat photo. This is Gus who reluctantly allowed me to photograph him.

i-fSN5kLh-XL.
    NIKON D500    ---    50mm       1/125s    ISO 2800

1/125s, f/1.8, ISO 2800 using a Nikon 50mm prime.

7. My kind of guy!

8. Nice! Now if this was Bill's picture, I'd have complained about half the darned cat being out of focus! And Gus is all Twinkled-eyed :) 

9. Got my camera about 6pm here in NY (Long Island). Had really nothing in the back yard to shoot so I bribed our little Maltese LuLu. Around 6:30 or so it was cloudy, dark and dreary.

I used the closest lens my 200-400VR (older lens) and attached the x1.4 to make it even harder on the camera. Have to say the AF even with this was pretty darn good.

ISO 3200, nothing at all done (converted to JPG in Photoshop) except resize;

DSCISO3200.

ISO 6400, nothing at all done (converted to JPG in Photoshop) except resize;

DSC_ISO6400.

Have to look at all the settings, etc now and fix them for tomorrow morning. Will go out with the 600VR and see whats around. Problem is it may rain.

I have a couple other lower ISO images but was too late and I gave up and had a pizza! :) 

Charging batteries for the AM.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  10. Grrr...Monday is a long ways off - but the new lens + the D500 is gonna smoke.... :D 

11. Go Gus! And Go Dust Mop :ROFLMAO:  I'll be shooting Dog Agility on Sunday, indoor arena with crummy lighting, should be a REAL good test!

Don't worry Tim, worst thing is the Asteroid hits and Monday never comes ........ ;) 

12. This is not much in terms of quality, but it is one of the first images I've taken with the D500. Quick capture of a Bluebird in the backyard during overcast, failing evening light.

p1993755984-5.
    NIKON D500    ---    400mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    ISO 1400

13. So, Fred, what do you think? Pretty crummy camera, eh?????? :)  Pretty Bluebird, I wish I didn't have to drive a couple of hours to see them.

14. Lance B

Lance B

Jan 13, 2011
    Australia
    I posted this over at FM as well:

I have only had the D500 for a day and haven't had much opportunity to get out and really give it a proper go. These are just some quick snaps, one is out my front window of the Rainbow Lorikeet supping on out Banksia Tree nectar early in the morning. The other down at the park of a Purple Swamp Hen late in the day.

Both converted through Nikon NX-D and then tweaked in Photoshop where I used Noisware noise reduction to reduce noise. I haven't done any real comparisons with regards to noise compared to my D810 and it is too early to say whether it has better noise than the D810 when the D810 is cropped to match ie an apples to apples comparo. I am reserving judgement at this stage until Capture One Pro (my preferred RAW converter) releases their RAW algorithms for the D500 and I can then get a real feel for how it compares to the D810.

As for using the camera, gotta love that 10fps, that's good fun. All in all, works just like the D810 other than the frame rate. It's a solid, well built camera, the shutter/mirror is quite quiet and all those AF points are great. AF speed is quick and accurate. Overall, an excellent camera to use - so far as it's only early days.

Rainbow Lorikeet

D500 + 400 f2.8E FL VR, 1/100sec, f5, ISO2000

original.
    NIKON D500    ---    400mm    f/5.0    1/100s    ISO 2000

A more pleasing composition - a crop for better positioning:

original.
    NIKON D500    ---    400mm    f/5.0    1/100s    ISO 2000

Purple Swamp Hen

D500 + 400 f2.8E FL VR, 1/400sec, f5, ISO2800

original.
    NIKON D500    ---    400mm    f/5.0    1/400s    ISO 2800

• Like Like x 1
  15. Very nice, Lance! At first glance I saw "Lorikeet out my Window" and was startled, then I saw the "Who" and the "Where" and no surprise at all :D  I like how the detail holds in the dark blues and purples.

16. Lance B

Lance B

Jan 13, 2011
    Australia
    Thank you very much, Bill. Just sharing the images around. :) 

17. A few from this AM. Not good light but fun anyway! The hawk was interesting. I saw him fly into a tree (not sure he even landed) then when was starting to point the camera toward him when he took off again. I got the lens on him and got one frame and this was it. Not the sharpest image but I couldn't believe I got anything let alone something decent.

So far again the camera seems to be doing a good job....still earning settings however.

D500, 600VR, tripod, all ISO 400

heck042816__0043.

heck042816__0079.

heck042816__0092.

heck042816__0097.

Post processing was in Photoshop and consisted of levels, crop and some unsharp mark.

18. D500 sure is a quick bugger, eh George? I really like how quickly you can acquire focus now, even better than the D810, and I think that is still excellent. Next step will be a D510 where it focuses before we even think about it :D 

19. Winterfell

Winterfell

Feb 21, 2011
    MN USA
    Did some indoor testing of D500 with Sigma 120-300OS (previous model to the Sport model that has the sigma dock functionality) and it seems to focus in both normal and live view. Touch to focus even :) 

Need to test outdoors at realistic focusing distances to see how happy/quick it really is paired with this camera but maybe just maybe I can get by without shipping it to Sigma for a firmware update again (I sent the lens in once before for a firmware update to work with my D800).

(Haven't tried movie AF-F mode but that doesn't really work for any lens so no worries there ;)  )

20. It sure is quick Bill! Matter of fact I mentioned to a friend this AM is seemed quicker than my D4. Looking forward to some nice days with some birds here on Long Island, pretty slow and bleak lately.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.