D500 - Impressions and Tips, post them here

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Hi guys - thinking of getting a D500 - can you guys correct me if I am wrong..but when you're shooting to SD card (overflow raw file only no jpeg) do you still get 10fps but with a lot less buffer than when you're using your primary fast XQD card?
In my case shooting soccer (prob only ever go 3 seconds max on a burst anyhow).
- cheers Dave.

Yes, the frame rate is the same. Faster cards allow the camera's internal buffer to clear more quickly, and they allow longer periods of continuous shooting before the camera slows down. With a decent pause between 3 second bursts, you may not notice any slowdown with an SD card.

Real Name
Randy
Hi guys - thinking of getting a D500 - can you guys correct me if I am wrong..but when you're shooting to SD card (overflow raw file only no jpeg) do you still get 10fps but with a lot less buffer than when you're using your primary fast XQD card?
- cheers Dave.
I still shoot SD card with no problems
If you want to hold down the SB the XQD will let you fire more

- cheers Dave.
Hi Dave,

With a 32gb 40 mb/s the D500 writes 30 shots in a burst to the sd card at 10 fps.

cheers

Thanks guys - if I get a D500 in the next couple weeks I will have to use a SD card for a week or so - until I get a XQD from online (no-one in town has these sitting on the shelf lol!).
Good to know it wont affect shooting too much in the meantime.

-Actually to open another can of worms - upon reflection the D500 would put out great quality .jpg files I presume? - so for soccer pics mostly shared on the web I should be just shooting jpg only instead of RAW??
save space etc maybe?

Real Name
Randy
Thanks guys - if I get a D500 in the next couple weeks I will have to use a SD card for a week or so - until I get a XQD from online (no-one in town has these sitting on the shelf lol!).
Good to know it wont affect shooting too much in the meantime.

-Actually to open another can of worms - upon reflection the D500 would put out great quality .jpg files I presume? - so for soccer pics mostly shared on the web I should be just shooting jpg only instead of RAW??
save space etc maybe?
always raw because it's the same effort to make jpgs since you will at a minimum need to crop and LR treats raw and jpg the same. I used to shoot jpg for sports but sometimes I would need a raw file to fix an exposure thing so I decided it was easier to always shoot raw. I just bought a 8tb external hard drive for $175 at B&H. For most people that's 20 years worth

Yea thanks guys - prob just stick to original plan of RAW only.
also - my bad ..I just realized this was discussed a few pages ago!
...although not in relation to sports shooting

Last edited:
Real Name
Ian
I bought a "used" 9+ 128GB Sony G-series XQD card from B&H (their latest & fastest version), along with a 32GB Sony G-series UHS-II SD card. I've got RAW's going to the XQD, and JPEGs going to the SD. I can get 2,600 RAW files on the 128GB XQD (Large, 14-bit, lossless compressed), and 2,000 JPEGs (Large).

99.99% of the time it'll be overkill, but it'll be nice for when I'm at the track and shooting 10fps.

Just as an FYI, with a UHS-II SD card, I could shoot 10fps no problem with the D500 and never ran in to buffer issues. The buffer does clear faster with XQD, but the UHS-II SD cards can handle it just fine as well IMO.

- cheers Dave.
A Sony XQD Series G Card which writes at 400mb/s will never run out of buffer.

If you shoot raw to a 80mb/s it will run out and slow after about burst of 28 shots. The Sandisk Xtreme Pro 300mb/s Card should work similarly to the Sony G Series XQD. They are expensive though and you need a UHS 2 SD Card reader to download quickly.

I’ll shoot RAW to my XQD and make a jpg copy to my slow 80mb/s SD Card.

Just got back into photography again after a 2 year layoff, initially bought a D500 and 200-500VR. I must say being a bit out of practice it hasn’t been easy to get quality images like I previously did. Anyway now I’m getting my technique a little better and sorting out my processing workflow I’m sort of getting there now.

What has been slightly confusing the jpg’s straight out the camera did look a lot better than RAW files processed in Lightroom. Now I’ve used the Nikon Camera Profiles and turned sharpening down the images compare well.

40502880930_c7423d8011_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Jonathan Railton - Silverstone Test by Nick Railton, on Flickr

42782950581_d306a467fb_h.jpg
Goldfinch by Nick Railton, on Flickr

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13260

Nice work.
I'm seeing distinct variation in sharpness with that rig and of course there are a number of influences on that, but I'm coming to suspect 1/1500s as well.

Nice work.
I'm seeing distinct variation in sharpness with that rig and of course there are a number of influences on that, but I'm coming to suspect 1/1500s as well.
Thanks, With my old setup I had a 300 f2.8 VR and D800 couldn’t go wrong with that setup, I have to work harder with my new gear. What do you mean 1/1500s ?

What has been slightly confusing the jpg’s straight out the camera did look a lot better than RAW files processed in Lightroom. Now I’ve used the Nikon Camera Profiles and turned sharpening down the images compare well.

View attachment 1615818 Jonathan Railton - Silverstone Test by Nick Railton, on Flickr

View attachment 1615819 Goldfinch by Nick Railton, on Flickr

Welcome to my world (Jpeg shooter) I often shoot side by side with guys using identical gear.
When all is said and done my SOOC's hold up to their PP'd shots, often ya can't tell...and most
definitely faster. My rodeo/brewband photos are usually up before my @ home beer's empty, let
the sales begin! Properly exposed, it'd be tough to see the diff. through my usual 8 X 10 > 16 X 20
sized prints. Nikon really hit this one out of the park. TYVM. :D

Welcome to my world (Jpeg shooter) I often shoot side by side with guys using identical gear.
When all is said and done my SOOC's hold up to their PP'd shots, often ya can't tell...and most
definitely faster. My rodeo/brewband photos are usually up before my @ home beer's empty, let
the sales begin! Properly exposed, it'd be tough to see the diff. through my usual 8 X 10 > 16 X 20
sized prints. Nikon really hit this one out of the park. TYVM. :D
I had forgotten why I stopped shooting RAW! I now remember although as I have 2 slots I’ll shoot JPG and Raw, handy to have a RAW image to fall back on when(often) I get it all wrong.

D

Deleted member 13260

Thanks, With my old setup I had a 300 f2.8 VR and D800 couldn’t go wrong with that setup, I have to work harder with my new gear. What do you mean 1/1500s ?
Just that at that speed I get more fuzz shooting BIF.
Another guy I know on a FB page doing similar work has no problems.
Some experts say that for BIF it helps to go much faster and I get more sharp shots at 1/2000.
Anyway I also found this vid helpful. Mine was front focusing by 2 cm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a good deal on a D500 finally! There was $500 off RRP plus $200 cash back. Also with a free card reader and sony 32gb XQD card thrown in..nice.
Working well and pretty mind-blowing coming from the old D200.
- Just the thing for soccer! - think this body will keep me happy for a while :)

NIK_3356.jpg

NIK_3280.jpg
NIK_3254.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom