D500 Issues (1 real 1 my fault !)

Well after showing much love over the last 2 weeks for my EM1 MK II with my new Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 Pro lens (a cracker), my poor D500 had been sitting unused for several weeks, so I thought I'd charge up the batteries and give it a spin.

Every-time I pick up the D500 I'm reminded why I love M4/3, as the D500 and my Tamron 150-600 or Nikon 300mm F4 AF-S combo (with battery grip) feels like a brick (a very nice feeling brick though), and is way heavier than the Olympus setup. However once I start shooting I'm reminded why DSLR's won't go extinct just yet. The AF acquisition (as good as it is on the EM1 II) is in another league on the D500 and the freedom to shoot up to ISO 6400 and beyond with impunity is a great feeling (the D500 files do clean up really nicely).

However disaster struck, When shooting with my old Nikon 300mm F4 AF-S I was getting all sorts of weird under and over exposure. Now I know my lens motor is on the way out as it does squeak quite badly (must get round to getting this fixed), but I started to wonder if the aperture blades were also starting to stick, especially as this lens has no rear element so the aperture blades are open the the environment. After getting really frustrated and almost wishing I'd had my Olympus with me instead, it then stuck me I was getting exactly -.7, -.3, 0, +.3, +.7 exposures....yes you guessed it, some how I'd accidentally switched exposure bracketing on - doh !! With that sorted the D500 was a joy to use (even though its still eating batteries for breakfast and Nikon can find nothing wrong with the camera).

Re the battery issues, for many months now all wireless stuff including bluetooth has been turned off (Airplane mode ON), and I've even disabled the touch screen as well.

After fully charging the batteries to give you an example, I loaded them into the camera at 11.55 yesterday and both showed 100%. I went out shooting at lunchtime for 45 minutes and returned just before 1.00pm. In that time the camera was on for around 30 minutes, in single AF mode, continuous mode set to low (7 fps) and as I said all WIFI stuff off. Shooting with my 300mm F4 AF-S (so no VR to further drain the batteries). After I returned I noticed I'd shot 163 images and the grip battery was now showing 63% (the one in camera still showing 100%). That was shooting 14bit compressed Raw to the XQD card and Jpg large to the SD cards. I use 4 batteries (all the later versions) and regularly rotate them around, but get about the same life on each of them with the D500.

By my reckoning that's around 440-450 shots to completely deplete a battery - and Nikon UK say's this is normal and they couldn't find anything wrong !!! It's about the only thing I hate about my D500 (even my OMD EM1 II gives me around 800 shots per battery and that's mirrorless !

Anyway, enough moaning, some images

24605261158_4250106377_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

37590154065_fb1ac6aa9a_h.jpg

37583812785_420d792875_h.jpg

and a very heavy crop of a Woodpecker (just a 4mp image) way off in the distance and just a spec in the viewfinder !

37762265524_d0c594e174_h.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Yes. I've been bitten by the accidental bracket virus! LOL! Nice images.....in particular #3 and 4.

Very nice images. Great feather detail and nice smooth back grounds.

I think we've all been bitten by forgetting or accidently setting the wrong option on a camera, only to get home and find our mistake. :)
As far as the battery issue, there is no way that is right. I get well over a thousand shots on a battery; in fact my battery will usually last me all day shooting, with VR and the requisite occasional chimping. For what it is worth, when my batteries were brand new, they did run down very fast. However after about four or five cycles of using them and charging them, they improved considerably and performed normally.

Real Name
Barry
Some great detailed shots there. I must admit after just buying a D500 myself, I have found that the battery seems to be lasting well on a single charge.

I don't have a D500 so I can't relate to the battery issue. I have been tricked by the bracketing error (haven't we all?). However, if you are bothered by the weight and bulk of the 300 f/4 AF-s (I was), start budgeting for a 300 f/4 PF. It's a wonderful lens, half the weight and bulk and just as sharp as the old model, with VR as well.

Real Name
Ian
Nice images, and I'm glad you're enjoying your D500. Yes, while larger than the E-M1 II, when it comes to putting the AF-C system to the test, the D500 is heads and shoulders above the E-M1 II. I shot a D500 & 70-200 VR II side-by-side with an Olympus E-M1 II & 40-150 PRO. The end results? Me selling off and shuffling my m43 gear around so that I could buy a D500 and put together a small Nikon kit for sports.

The E-M1 II is a great camera, but if your primary intention is sports, the D500 is king unless you step up to D5.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom