1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D500 settings - amount of time to display image after shooting:

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by JohnRowe, Apr 16, 2019.

1. JohnRowe

JohnRowe

Mar 31, 2014
    I took the battery out of my D500 for a few weeks while I wasn't using it. Now that I'm using it again the amount of time the image displays on the back panel before disappearing seems much longer than before. Changing the settings in the custom menu (c4) seems to have no effect on the amount of time the image is displayed. Am I looking in the wrong menu?

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I don't have a D500. Did you check the manual?

3. C4 is where you change the image review time so long as you have image review turned on in the playback menu.

4. JohnRowe

JohnRowe

Mar 31, 2014
    Thanks all, and yes, I reviewed the owners manual and c4 is the menu where I changed the time for the image review. To be specific, my issue is the time for the brief display of the image shown after taking a photo (c4 should be the right menu but seems to have no effect) on the rear display, not the time for viewing an image in playback mode initiated via the blue playback arrow button.

Could having the battery out of the camera for a few weeks have any effect on this?

5. The internal battery that powers the clock and bios may have lost charge---it is powered by the larger battery. Is the camera keeping time and date correctly?

6. JohnRowe

JohnRowe

Mar 31, 2014
    Yes, it seems to have kept the time and date correctly, I didn't need to reset that once I installed the battery.

I have Image Review set for 2 seconds and it actually lasts 30 seconds.

7. Any of this help?

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 14.05.37.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 14.08.53.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 14.09.17.jpg

8. JohnRowe

JohnRowe

Mar 31, 2014
    Thanks, Nick, that's helpful and those are the sections of the manual I reviewed and implemented. Not sure what's happening, may require a trip to my local camera shop to get their take on it. I don't think it's a setting problem so much as a camera fault perhaps related to having the battery out for a few weeks. I may copy all my settings, do a total factory default reset and then set them to my preferences again.

I appreciate everyone's input!

9. Have you tried a 2-button reset?

10. JohnRowe

JohnRowe

Mar 31, 2014

I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know what that is.

11. Two ways:

1. To perform a reset you need to manually choose the reset option in the Shooting Menu and the Setup menu. To do this press 'Menu', select the Shooting Menu and scroll through the options until 'Reset Shooting Options' is highlighted, press ok, highlight 'Yes' and press ok again. Repeat this for the Setup menu.

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 14.44.56.jpg

12. JohnRowe

JohnRowe

Mar 31, 2014
    Thanks, Nick, you can tell I haven't memorized the menu. Frankly, the reason I took the battery out of the camera was because I'm thinking of selling my D500 kit (a few lenses, body, flash, some accessories) since I rarely use it anymore. I've gotten used to my Oly OM-D-M1 and it's a far smaller bag of tricks with less weight.

13. Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 14.48.56.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.