D500 XQD Card does not Seat (lock in)

had anyone had this problem as the Card does not lock in like the SD card and as such, does not read in the camera.

I can place the Card in, push it in and it just backs itself out slightly (no lock in).
not sure the cause or the fix.

Anyone have this experience or I am the lucky one?
any fix or do I need to ship it off to APS for a repair.

No problems on MY D850. Stick your Rocket Blower in the slot and give it a few puffs. Ditto the business end of the card.
Then look for a 4-leaf clover, knock on wood, kick your heels together . . . :D

had anyone had this problem as the Card does not lock in like the SD card and as such, does not read in the camera.

I can place the Card in, push it in and it just backs itself out slightly (no lock in).
not sure the cause or the fix.

Anyone have this experience or I am the lucky one?
any fix or do I need to ship it off to APS for a repair.
Is this the only card you have or does it happen with other cards? Does the card work in other cameras? You should answer these 2 questions before sending the camera in for repair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks.. tried all but the 4 leaf clover..
plus this is a brand new XQD card, other was replaced under Warranty by Sony as it failed.

Allan:
Brand new card, just arrived from Sony yesterday.
I have a repair shop local that I can have them take a look at it.. hopefully something simple as I leave on 13DEC for a Bald Eagle adventure and need this body
I looked down the slot and not sure what it "should" look like but its clean and such. I will run up to my local repair shop when they open to see what they can tell me and if if need a new card reader slot, if they can get it fixed b-4 I have to leave, otherwise, I can just use the SD slot until after that trip.

I did put the new card into my neighbors D500 and it slide in and clicked into place.. mine does not click.. it slides in but does not click or engage and slides back slightly out, losing contact with the body. It is as if the mechanism to lock the card in, is "broken" or stuck.. I prefer Stuck at this point...

I can take my D750 with the 200-500 on it, but prefer the D500 for the xtra FPS and reach.
time to take the D300 /D7100 out and charge the batteries, but neither are a replacement for the D500.

I believe that the two indentions about a 1/3 inch from the bottom on both sides are the locking points. There are two steps to the indent and they do not go all of the way through to the back of the card. Are they in tack?

looking into the slot, on the right side (on the bottom side of the camera) I can see things but the left side (top) I do not see anything, just metal slide.
there are two light flanges like that are on the FACE side of the slot.

On My D850, which should have the same mechanism, the card doesn't lock in, it's just a friction fit. The card can be pulled out without pressing the button. The button is linked to a small bright metal lever at the bottom of the slot on one edge to push the card up so it's easier to grasp.

Larry

On My D850, which should have the same mechanism, the card doesn't lock in, it's just a friction fit. The card can be pulled out without pressing the button. The button is linked to a small bright metal lever at the bottom of the slot on one edge to push the card up so it's easier to grasp.

Larry
D850's XQD slot is completely different than the D500's. I own both.

Real Name
Ian
I did put the new card into my neighbors D500 and it slide in and clicked into place.. mine does not click.. it slides in but does not click or engage and slides back slightly out, losing contact with the body. It is as if the mechanism to lock the card in, is "broken" or stuck.. I prefer Stuck at this point...

I can take my D750 with the 200-500 on it, but prefer the D500 for the xtra FPS and reach.
time to take the D300 /D7100 out and charge the batteries, but neither are a replacement for the D500.
If you want to use the D500, why not just shoot to a UHS-II card in slot 2?

I came back from my local Camera Repair place and based on their diagnostic, called APS...
1. there is a very very , tiny tab that locks in the XQD Card and considered a weak design vs the tension on the ejection.
2. if you break that little tab, you have to replace the dual card slot.
Per APS, the lead time for the part is 3-4 weeks from Nikon.

yes.. I will be using the SD Slot for now, until I can get is repaired in 2019.

my local repair shop cannot get parts for the D500 from Nikon...
But APS can but APS stated, D500 parts are harder to get for some reason.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom