D5000...good enough?

I have a d5000 & 18-55 vr lens after selling off my d700 and some fine lenses awhile ago

Tonight I was approached by the athletic director at my son's school to do team & individual pics

Well, it got me thinking of getting back into photography more

So, is the D5000 "good enough" for this job? Or should I get a better lens? I don't want to get back into the lust/spending craze ha. So want to get the most bang for my buck until I can see if this goes anywhere

Thoughts?

I think it would probably be a fine camera, but I think you would need to have some lighting equipment to pull off this gig. Do you have any lighting gear?

Yes. Throw something like a Sigma 50mm f1.4 on it and you're golden D5000 and Sigma 50 is my go to setup. Even though I have the D90 as well, I still go to that setup a lot as it's smaller and does just as good a job. I only grab the D90 if I need CLS, which, quite frankly, isn't that often since I have the f1.4.

It is all about lighting and F8 where the kit lenses do well enough. Team pics are 8x10. A D40 will make fine 8x10 at iso 200.
Get enough light so you need not use iso 1600 and I recommend Nik Define 2 noise reduction.

FX and G lenses are the best if you can stand the cost in bulk, weight, and money. But there is only so long I can hold them and how far I can walk with them. I keep DX for lots of things. The D7000 is outstanding DX and D300s replacement will be better yet.

Just use what you have but get some light.

I have a d5000 & 18-55 vr lens after selling off my d700 and some fine lenses awhile ago

Tonight I was approached by the athletic director at my son's school to do team & individual pics

Well, it got me thinking of getting back into photography more

So, is the D5000 "good enough" for this job? Or should I get a better lens? I don't want to get back into the lust/spending craze ha. So want to get the most bang for my buck until I can see if this goes anywhere

Thoughts?

Yes, the D5000 could be good enough depending on shooting conditions but surely not better than the more versatile D700.
The 18-55 could not be good enough though.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom