D5100 and street shooting

There is a very good chance I will be getting a book published in the not-so-distant future, the local newspaper editor and I are doing this as a joint venture; he provides the words and I do the images. Anyway, his publisher friend is encouraging me to do more and more people shooting, perhaps for future projects.

Over the years, I have done plenty of that but the trend these days is towards more of a photojournalistic approach, which I have been able to do to some limited success.

It seems many shooters are using mirrorless cameras due to their smaller size and less conspicuous nature, but, the AF is not what I am used to dealing with when using my current (albeit) older Nikon bodies, none of them have Live View.

I would think the articulating screen on the D5100 might be an advantage is street-style shooting, but I would need to get some feedback from those who actually own the camera and have used it in this manner.

Of course, the more modern D5100 has the 16MP sensor and would be more suitable for getting into the publishing business; I have also noticed the D7000 has been coming down in price, which is an alternative for a "newer" camera.

Thoughts?

The D5100 can be had for a very good price to make way for the D5200....When I am shooting with the swivel, I essentially have a mirror-less camera set-up, I still wonder if the AF would be good enough for my needs.

The D5100 would be an excellent choice IMO

I think the D5100 is a great walkaround camera .... and once you get used to its non-Nikon-standard controls, it can do nearly anything the D7000 can do. I use one along with an 18-105 VR, a 70-300 VR, a 35 1.8 DX, and a set of 52mm close-up lenses (for the 35) as a walkaround outfit. Bought the Domke F3 super-flexible should bag and it goes everywhere with me. On the shoulder it is light, flexible, and fast, and it holds the D5100 with any of the lenses attached or none attached, as the situation warrants.

From an IQ standpoint, the D5100 is the equal of the D7000 and I don't have any problems with its focusing, albeit I rarely use this camera for purposes requiring dynamic focusing and tracking (that's what the D7000 and D300 are for). As a static focuser, it is fast and accurate except in lowest light.

I think it would make a great walk-around for you , and at under $400 body-only refurbished, it is a great bargain to boot.

ps. If you want to see what I did with it this afternoon while killing time waiting for my daughter, take a look at this photo and the three "next" that follow it. While I used all the lenses during the hour I shot, the four I liked best happened all to be with the 70-300 VR attached (I'm a telephoto guy).

http://www.pbase.com/hflphotos/image/150623236

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I am used to the way the entry-level Nikons operate, I am very intrigued by this camera. I have access to play with it at work, too bad I can't actually take it out and do a test drive.

Live view is still slow as!! If you're going to use a swivel screen get a Panasonic G5, personally I think I'm going to get an O-MD+20mmF1.7&45mmF1.8

Latest threads

Top Bottom