'd5100 @ iso 6400'

Not impressed....it's a snapshot, and a poor one at that. :frown:
Really don't understand this kind of thread. :eek:

Apologies - I was just trying to point out the capabilities of the D5100 since I don't own one (mine is a D5000) :redface:

As far as the "snapshot" is concerned, Paul Van Allen is a Nikon employee and teaches seminars from time to time so I'm not one to judge here...

Clean as far as noise goes but not a good example. Looks to be a well lit room and someone could pull that off with a D80.

Not impressed....it's a snapshot, and a poor one at that. :frown:
Really don't understand this kind of thread. :eek:

This thread makes complete sense to me. Its an example of high iso. The quality of the photo has nothing to do with it, and since this is the technical area for DX bodies this seems like an appropriate place. If this was posted in one of the photo gallery areas then your post would make sense

Clean as far as noise goes but not a good example. Looks to be a well lit room and someone could pull that off with a D80.

Did you look at the exif data on that photo? 1/25 second at 5.6 with the kit lens. The only way this photo was going to be good handheld without flash was at 6400. The room doesn't seem that well lit to me. The D80 can do ISO6400 and maintain that kind of colour saturation?

You might get lucky at 1/12 second handheld, but the ISO is still at 3200. Getting to 1600 requires 1/6 second. I have read numerous times the D80 is only good for 800 ISO. Now you are down to 1/3 second. Handheld with a moving subject? I don't get that lucky. That's why I have a D7000.

You could go the other way and attach a faster lens to a D80. Let's say a 2.8 lens which would allow ISO800 at 1/12 second. I noticed the baby's ears are already out of focus at F5.6. Now you are changing the image again by reducing the depth of field.

My point is the D80 could have gotten a shot, but it wouldn't have been THAT shot.

I'm not impressed by high ISO samples when you can easily move the baby to a window or turn the light on or use a 35 1.8 DX for better low light capabilities. He could of even used the popup flash and used a white piece of paper to bounce or diffuse the light as not to flash the baby's eyes. I know, I have a baby I use all the tricks! :biggrin:

I don't even use 6400 with my 2.8 glass with the D3/D700 if I can help it!

Did you look at the exif data on that photo? 1/25 second at 5.6 with the kit lens. The only way this photo was going to be good handheld without flash was at 6400. The room doesn't seem that well lit to me. The D80 can do ISO6400 and maintain that kind of colour saturation?

You might get lucky at 1/12 second handheld, but the ISO is still at 3200. Getting to 1600 requires 1/6 second. I have read numerous times the D80 is only good for 800 ISO. Now you are down to 1/3 second. Handheld with a moving subject? I don't get that lucky. That's why I have a D7000.

You could go the other way and attach a faster lens to a D80. Let's say a 2.8 lens which would allow ISO800 at 1/12 second. I noticed the baby's ears are already out of focus at F5.6. Now you are changing the image again by reducing the depth of field.

My point is the D80 could have gotten a shot, but it wouldn't have been THAT shot.

indeed, sure as said there's all kinds of other ways to do a shot but normal people just want to be able to point a camera and take a picture, if they can do that in an average room w/o needing to think too much that's handy

A D80 doesn't even performs like that at iso 800, no iso 6400 setting is available.
The High setting (iso 3200) should never be used.

I think it's impressive, especially for a low-budget/consumer class DX body. It makes you think what Nikon has in store for the D4/D800/D400 series.

I think it's impressive, especially for a low-budget/consumer class DX body. It makes you think what Nikon has in store for the D4/D800/D400 series.

Hmmm...
Don't know if I'd call the 5100 "low budget" since the difference in price between the 5100 & 7000 is $300 USD.....However, it's interesting to note that the D90 now retails for the same price as the 5100....

Compared to my D50 it looks light years better. I've never been a fan of the button layout on the D40/60/3x00/5x00's. I thought the D50 was a big step down in buttons and a bare minimum but I don't have the dough to but the bodies with the button layouts I really like. But if it looks as good @ 6400 compared to my old ISO800 maybe I could just live without a dedicated ISO button. Still feels like a step back though in the way I like to use my camera.

An old dog...

...can be taught a few new tricks. My neice was going through my gear as she is interested in getting into photography. I talked to her about several aspects of the equipment she was looking over when she helped me realize that all of those buttons on the D90 I didn't use very often. I generally set my preferences once and leave the camera as is. Rarely do I change my initial setup. I admit when I was more serious (note I said serious) about photography I did frequently adjust various parameters via the buttons but not so much anymore. I admit I'm getting old and my preferences have changed. It took a beautiful young neice to help me see through the cluttered reality I had put myself in. I like the simpler, fewer buttons on the D5100 better than the overwhelming D90. The D90 was and is a fantastic camera! So, I think, is the D5100. Both have their place.
Of course this is from an aging amateur with no pro ambitions. I realize younger amateurs would enjoy having much more parameters available in an easy to quickly change button layout.
For slower much more casual shooting I like less buttons, it's less confusing for this old man and my very young neice.

I for one love the high iso samples posted. I hate using flash, especially if Im running after my kids.

As a matter of fact here is mine, although its "ONLY" ISO 3200 :D

5716814946_e74bea0fe1_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hmmm...
Don't know if I'd call the 5100 "low budget" since the difference in price between the 5100 & 7000 is $300 USD.....However, it's interesting to note that the D90 now retails for the same price as the 5100....

The way I see it:

Low budget: D3100, D5100 (below $1K)
Mid-budget: D7000, D300s (between $1K-$2K)
High budget: D700, D3s, D3x ($2K and up)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom