D5600 Can't see the readout in the viewfinder in bright light

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Bennettskaya, May 17, 2018.

1. Bennettskaya

Bennettskaya

Jan 13, 2006
    Edinburgh
    I am almost at the point of sending the camera back. It's a problem I didn't see in the few days I had the camera here in the UK before going to Hungary last week. I bought the camera as a holiday carry-about. The shots are fine - no issues there.

But I absolutely could not see the shutter speed and aperture readouts in the viewfinder in bright sunlight. These are critical bits of information and can't see them clearly.

I could point the camera at the ground and pick up the aperture information, but that wouldn't tell me the shutter speed for the scene.

And I could look at the readout in the LCD, but I keep my eye to the viewfinder - it's how I shoot.

Is this a problem anyone else has seen? Is there a way to increase the brightness of the display?

trams-in-budapest.jpg

2. Shutter speed and aperture should show in the viewfinder (items 9 & 10 in this image):

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 16.25.29.jpg

3. Page 263 of the handbook:

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 16.35.49.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bennettskaya

Bennettskaya

Jan 13, 2006
    Edinburgh
    Thanks, I can see the aperture. shutter speed, and ISO in the viewfinder. The problem is that they are dim and fuzzy. There wasn't a physical copy of the handbook in the box, and I had no idea it existed. I found it online and downloaded it. I adjusted the diopter in the viewfinder. I thought I had it set correctly, but I followed the instructions on page 340 and it looks better. Next step is to try it in full sun. We had a red sky this evening, so tomorrow could be a sunny day.

5. Good to hear! Keep posting :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.