D6 announcement rumor

Even with no specs given, I'm sure the D6 will have better focus and ISO performance over the D5, but at a price tag of I'm guess close to $7K it would be a hard pill to swallow. I still prefer the feel and overall performance of my DSLRs over the Z6 I have, but the shift is to mirrorless. I held onto the F5 and didn't move to the F6 when it came out because you could see the writing on the wall, same it true today. While I would love to have it, and will be jealous of those who do, I will milk along the current bodies I have until a Z-body comes out starts to challenge the DSLR performance.

I don't see anything that need major improvements.
Battery that lasts the life of the camera with no need for recharging
Built-in memory that negates the need for a memory card
Controls typically seen in a vertical grip built into the camera
Focus shifting that automatically identifies the subject and automatically captures its entirety in focus with no need for the user to configure the settings
Sensor that indicates a filter is on the lens (I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten that a polarizer filter is on the lens when I didn't want it on.)
Camera that can be trained by the user to know when the shutter speed is too slow for a handheld system to keep the subject in focus
Shutter release built into the camera that is activated by sound, light or broken infrared beam

Real Name
Ian
Interesting......If I may be so bold to ask.....you don't think the Z 6 or Z 7 challenge current Nikon DSLR performance?
The Z6 comes nowhere close to the D5.

Nikon needs their own version of the Sony A9 if they want to convince the sports and PJ shooters to switch to mirrorless. They also need to address things like dual card slots, buffer, burst FPS, ergonomics/battery grip, EVF refresh, etc.

The Z6/Z7 are fantastic for replacing your every-day DSLR, but they're no replacement for a D5-type body.

Real Name
Randy
Real Name
Ian
And the Z 6 was not designed to be in the D5's class either....
While the Z6 wasn't built to rival the D5, you asked "you don't think the Z 6 or Z 7 challenge current Nikon DSLR performance?" in a thread meant to discuss the upcoming D6.

My answer was that no, the Z6 does not challenge D5/D6 performance. In the context of this thread, there are a lot of changes that Nikon needs to make before their own mirrorless cameras can take the place of the D5/D6 type cameras.

But we are approaching limits imposed by basic physics now, so future improvements will be incremental.

Dynamic range curves for D800, D810, and D850 lie on top of each other. And so do those for the D4 and D5.

Ha!…. if basic physics doesn't work we'll use quantum mechanics!......

Georgie Beagle. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

actually, if we could determine the energy of each photon then we would not need the Bayer filter so things would get better fast…. sorta like a Li drifted Si sensor for detection of x-rays and gamma rays.. Also, QE is around 50% so if we could increase the QE then there would be better low light performance.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" they said you couldn't go faster than the speed of light but Star Trek's warp drive proved that you could...." - Georgie Beagle

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Its going to be a nice toy that will cost you $ 8000 😜 :ROFLMAO:
I'd think it would be a tool, not a toy, for professional sports photographers whose livelihood depends on capturing stunning images with state-of-the-art technology. I think it's positioned for the 2020 Olympics, along with its monster companion 120-300mm lens, which will no doubt be stratospherically priced, too. Purchasers will need to spend long hours of weight-training at the gym.

I wonder whether getting that combination ready in time is what has held up development of Z lenses.

Last edited:
I'd think it would be a tool, not a toy, for professional sports photographers whose livelihood depends on capturing stunning images with state-of-the-art technology. I think it's positioned for the 2020 Olympics, along with its monster companion 120-300mm lens, which will no doubt be stratospherically priced, too. Purchasers will need to spend long hours of weight-training at the gym.

I wonder whether getting that combination ready in time is what has held up development of Z lenses.
80% of people that bought d5 are not PRO it will be the same for a D6

...actually, if we could determine the energy of each photon then we would not need the Bayer filter so things would get better fast…. sorta like a Li drifted Si sensor for detection of x-rays and gamma rays.. Also, QE is around 50% so if we could increase the QE then there would be better low light performance...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom