D6 announcement rumor

A suggestion from elsewhere on the internet is that the top part of the eyepiece is a plastic hood hiding a GPS or WiFi.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I read Thom's article and I agree with him that for a pro shooting sports at an event, his criteria is fitting.

However, there is more than one kind of professional when it comes to the D6.

Nature and particularly birders have used the pro level cameras for a long time with very little love from Nikon, really. We can see the results from cafe'ers like Louis and Randy (and many more). I think that this category of pro level users have slightly different needs and requirements than the sport shooters do. However they pay as much as the "real Pros" do.
  • AF tracking is vital, the latest D5/D500/D850 have excellent tracking, however believe it or not Sony's animal eye tracking is ahead of everyone else. As an example a friend of mine with a Sony A9 tracked an owls eye as the owl was flying though branches (!)
  • AF accuracy is paramount, the eye of a bird has a razor thin DOF, Some of the mirror less are even better than the D5.
  • Weather sealing if you go out in real cold or windy conditions, one sometimes needs even better protection than Sports shooters.
  • and so on.
Whizzbang features I would love to see
  • If not EVF, how about a superimposed histogram in the OVF through a translucent mirror?
  • Previously mentioned Animal eye AF tracking, and not just in live view
  • The Olympus EM-1 MKII (and X) has a feature where you half hold the shutter and it will record 15 RAW images before you actually need them, would be great for sitting hawks about to lift off, never miss a lift off again
  • Pixelshift for multiple shot hi res images
  • and so on....
Yes I dream of Beagles too, except that we have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (a.k.a Bisquit hound)

Real Name
Randy
I read Thom's article and I agree with him that for a pro shooting sports at an event, his criteria is fitting.

However, there is more than one kind of professional when it comes to the D6.

Nature and particularly birders have used the pro level cameras for a long time with very little love from Nikon, really. We can see the results from cafe'ers like Louis and Randy (and many more). I think that this category of pro level users have slightly different needs and requirements than the sport shooters do. However they pay as much as the "real Pros" do.
  • AF tracking is vital, the latest D5/D500/D850 have excellent tracking, however believe it or not Sony's animal eye tracking is ahead of everyone else. As an example a friend of mine with a Sony A9 tracked an owls eye as the owl was flying though branches (!)
  • AF accuracy is paramount, the eye of a bird has a razor thin DOF, Some of the mirror less are even better than the D5.
  • Weather sealing if you go out in real cold or windy conditions, one sometimes needs even better protection than Sports shooters.
  • and so on.
Whizzbang features I would love to see
  • If not EVF, how about a superimposed histogram in the OVF through a translucent mirror?
  • Previously mentioned Animal eye AF tracking, and not just in live view
  • The Olympus EM-1 MKII (and X) has a feature where you half hold the shutter and it will record 15 RAW images before you actually need them, would be great for sitting hawks about to lift off, never miss a lift off again
  • Pixelshift for multiple shot hi res images
  • and so on....
Yes I dream of Beagles too, except that we have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (a.k.a Bisquit hound)
very well said,
and why not more MPs for cropping as long as high iso stays clean

Real Name
Andy
I expect that the D6 will be approximately double the price of an A9. For that premium, it really should have eye AF with excellent tracking, 20fps, and silent shutter capability. Anything less would be conceding the future of pro and serious enthusiast sales to Sony, who presumably are already developing an A10.

I don't know what the actual specs of the D6 will be (and neither do all the experts expressing opinions on the matter). However if it exceeds current cameras in the same fashion as the D5 did when it was released, I'll be interested.

Real Name
Randy
I don't know what the actual specs of the D6 will be (and neither do all the experts expressing opinions on the matter). However if it exceeds current cameras in the same fashion as the D5 did when it was released, I'll be interested.
I won’t forget how surprised I was with the D5 and how mad I was for waiting to get one

I did something I had never done before:
Having read Nikon's pre-release Specs., I didn't bother to wait for any Reviews but pre-ordered a D5 the day that Pre-ordering opened and got mine from the first shipment to arrive in the USA.
Nikon's Specs., and my experience with previous Nikon D-single-digits were all that I needed to know.
I have never regretted buying the superb D5.

Latest threads

Top Bottom