D6 ordered !

I am more than tempted. I carry two bodies, had previously used a pair of D4's and now shoot with a D5 and a D850 and always defer to the D5. I am considering selling my low shutter count D850 with Battery Grip and RRS L-bracket to help finance it. I keep pulling up my NPS email for pre-order but haven't made the decision yet.

I am more than tempted. I carry two bodies, had previously used a pair of D4's and now shoot with a D5 and a D850 and always defer to the D5. I am considering selling my low shutter count D850 with Battery Grip and RRS L-bracket to help finance it. I keep pulling up my NPS email for pre-order but haven't made the decision yet.
I sold my D850 and preordered D6. I don't have the D5 so this upcoming purchase is not an upgrade. Current price difference listed on NIkon Canada between the D5 and D6 is about $500. So if it is "as good as" with some minor improvements in AF it's worth it to me. That and at my age, this would probably be my last purchase of a high end camera body. I realize that D5 prices will go down once the D6 ships and there will no doubt be used D5 bodies up for sale, my preference is to by new with extended warranties.

Real Name
Randy
It’s pretty much any DSLR’s VF. It’s one of the reasons I still like shooting my D500’s for action. I find it much easier to pan and shoot with an OVF than any EVF I’ve shot with.

I love my Z6 as well, but the D500 is such a great tool for shooting action.
EVF are my preference but not all DSLR have a D5 EVF

I think Nikon, been in some financial trouble, have pushed this out to get extra revenue
D5/D6's are not high volume sellers so how will they get extra revenue?
IMHO, what's hurting Nikon is that they are not selling tons of D3000*/D5000* series cameras because Fuji and Sony have beat the pants off of them here with their mirrorless models.

IMHO, what's hurting Nikon is that they are not selling tons of D3000*/D5000* series cameras because Fuji and Sony have beat the pants off of them here with their mirrorless models.
The camera markets have been in decline for some time now, that's for all manufacturers, Sony and Fuji included.

Basically, the snap-shooting brigade have moved over to using their cell phones as a camera so the bottom-end of the camera-buying market is rapidly disappearing completely.
The same applies to much of the mid-range as well.

We are just returning to the normality of fifteen years ago before "everyone" was buying a DSLR as jewellery — even though they had no idea how to use one!

Basically, the snap-shooting brigade have moved over to using their cell phones as a camera so the bottom-end of the camera-buying market is rapidly disappearing completely.
The same applies to much of the mid-range as well.

We are just returning to the normality of fifteen years ago before "everyone" was buying a DSLR as jewellery — even though they had no idea how to use one!
The market will eventually pick back up, when those lazy cellphone shooters realize their cellphone cameras will never replace a compact camera/DSLR.
No matter how many pixels/marketing hype these phone manufacturers try to push, the tiny lenses on smartphones can not resolve what they are claiming, also it's all pretty much computational trickery.

Real Name
Colin Carter
The d5 was end of life and they needed a new flagship for the olympic year so by not spending much by not innovating or adding any real upgrades and assuming people will always upgrade, Nikon will get extra revenue for hardly any outlay.

The market will eventually pick back up, when those lazy cellphone shooters realize their cellphone cameras will never replace a compact camera/DSLR.
No matter how many pixels/marketing hype these phone manufacturers try to push, the tiny lenses on smartphones can not resolve what they are claiming, also it's all pretty much computational trickery.
I wish you were right but it is unlikely for soooo many reasons:
the camera is free
it is integrated with social media apps and the cloud
it does video
it is compact and mobile
it requires no particular knowledge or expertise to share emotions and moments
quality is already good enough and improving
AI is beginning to take over part of the smartphone taken moment sharing process...
Now, if you meant that SOME smartphones users will get a mirror less/dslr, yes that is happening.

Last edited:
The d5 was end of life and they needed a new flagship for the olympic year so by not spending much by not innovating or adding any real upgrades and assuming people will always upgrade, Nikon will get extra revenue for hardly any outlay.
Is it really extra revenue?
Few people will buy the D6 - not a make/break the company. The real $$ lies in volume sales of the lower models

I don't believe that there is any longer any "volume sales of the lower models" of cameras. That segment has been swallowed entirely by the makers of cell phones; and the users of those devices are not in the least interested in photography or in higher quality but only in capturing fleeting memories for sharing on social media.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom