D6 Sensor Cleaning anyone?

So I thought it was about time to clean the sensor on the Nikon D6. While I was in town I thought I would take it into my dealer to have him clean it. I used to clean the sensor on all my other cameras my self, but the last year or so I've made more of a mess than ever. I'm told that in order to clean the sensor on the D6 properly you need an AC cord that fits into a battery holder. I'm told the Nikon has actually changed the AC adapter recently such that my dealer doesn't have the appropriate equipment. In other words would have to send it in to Nikon for cleaning. Any D6 owners out there that have cleaned their sensors?

Bob, I cleaned my D2 sensor 3 times so that makes me an expert on the D6. Right?
I checked the online D6 manual and it lists instructions for "manual cleaning" and says full battery or AC adaptor. So scrub away my frined and do those windows too (no battery needed?) :)

Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 10.27.00.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Haven't done mine yet, but need to. Several generations back, Nikon went to having the ability to use a battery, as long as it was fully charged. IIRC, if the battery level is below a certain point, the shutter won't open in cleaning mode, call it self protection. Could be the dealer doesn't want to take a chance.

Bob, I cleaned my D2 sensor 3 times so that makes me an expert on the D6. Right?
I checked the online manual and it lists instructions for "manual cleaning" and says full battery or AC adaptor. So scrub away my frined and do those windows too (no battery needed?) :)

Thanks Nick. I was looking through the manual for sensor. cleaning, only just found it under "low pass filter"
Haven't done mine yet, but need to. Several generations back, Nikon went to having the ability to use a battery, as long as it was fully charged. IIRC, if the battery level is below a certain point, the shutter won't open in cleaning mode, call it self protection. Could be the dealer doesn't want to take a chance.
Yes I believe the dealer doesn't want to take a chance unless it's connected via an AC adaptor. Otherwise there is no contraindications that it shouldn't be done with a full battery.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom