1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D60- choosing a lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Skittledoo, Aug 13, 2008.

1. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the different kinds of lens there are out there and having trouble figuring out what would be a good fit for me.

How do you go about choosing your new lens?

I'm really wanting a good panoramic lens and a good lens for shooting macros, but I have no clue what lenses to look into.

2. Do you want an all around lens? Or different lenses for different purposes? A good all around for both portraits and wide shots is the 18-200 AF-S.

Do you have the 18-55VR kit lens that came with your D60? I guess, you can get the 55-200 VR AF-S for your macro.

Unless you want the more expensive lenses with f/2.8s like the 70-200 AF-S VR, or the 28-70 AF-S which they call "The Beast"

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a panoramic lens, do you mean something that will cover a very wide angle?

Also, how close do you want to get with your macro lens. Lots of the more modern consumer zooms will get pretty close. However a dedicted macro lens will be able to bring your subjects up to life size relative to your DX sensor.

Finally what's your budget? If you want the best things can be very expensive (just ask anyone who spends time in the Lens Lust forum!)

4. monkay

monkay

Jun 12, 2008
    New Jersey
    just to give you an idea from a fellow d60 shooter :) biggrin:) , i currently own the 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VR lenses, but will be selling both for a 18-200mm VR. this gives me the best in convenience and versatility and 'good' image quality

from there, i hope to get a sigma 150mm for macro work.

like Robert said, it depends on what exactly you're after and what your budget is.

5. Ya I'm not sure panoramic lens is the correct name of the lens... but definitely something that shoots with a very wide angle. I understand to get a truly panoramic photo I'll have to do some stitch work in photoshop.

Thanks for the input guys. I apologize I am just NOW responding. Haven't been able to hop onto Nikon Cafe in a while.

6. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    The 18-55VR lens that probably came with your D60 kit is not a bad starter lens for macro stuff. It does a 1:3.2 reproduction ratio at close focus and 55mm which is not too bad, or roughly one-third life size. A full macro lens will get you to 1:1. There aren't too many Nikon lenses out there besides the dedicated macros that will get you much if any closer than that.

18-55VR at close focus, 55mm, full shot.
    [​IMG]

For an ultra-wide lens, which is what I think you're looking for, there's lots of good choices out there. Just a question of how much you want to spend and what sort of features you're looking for, and whether you want autofocus support or not.

Nikon 12-24DX AF-S, Sigma 10-20 HSM, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24, Tamron 10-24 "BIM" (built in motor). The Tokinas won't have autofocus support on the 40/40x/60 camera, but every other one will. I have the Tokina 11-16 because I wanted the f/2.8 speed for the night time walkaround shooting I like to do that the others all lack. Manually focusing isn't a bother for this sort of photography.

An 11mm daytime shot from the Tokina 11-16. 18mm from the 18-55 was only about as wide as where the two trees were starting to come up near the center of the frame.
    [​IMG]

If you want really really wiiiiiide shots without stitching, you might be interested in the Nikon fisheye lens. It gives a 160-degree horizontal and 180-degree diagonal field of view, which is much much wider than a rectilinear lens which might give a 100-degree horizontal view at its widest.

One of my favorites:
    [​IMG]

Depending on how you frame fisheye shots and what sort of corrections you apply to the images, you can have really fishy looking shots like this:

[​IMG]

Or completely natural looking photos.
    [​IMG]

It'll also work pretty good with interiors too (this one had the image trends hemi photoshop plug-in applied to straighten the verticals)
    [​IMG]

I love the little fishy. :biggrin: I'm selling mine though because I just don't use it enough and have already had plenty of fun with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.