D60 high iso

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Pa, Sep 30, 2008.

1. I'm sure this has been discussed here somewhere, but I can't seem to construct a search that will tease it out.

How does the D60 perform at higher iso settings, particularly as compared to the D200 and D40? Since it has the same sensor as the D200 (right?), I would expect it to give about the same performance unless there are some firmware upgrades that help out. But the D40, at 6.1MP, might be better.

So, any experience out there to provide guidance?

Thanks for responding.

2. magbarn

magbarn

Sep 27, 2008
    Riverside, CA
    I'm interested too as I'm looking at either at a D80 or a D60 as my travel kit when I don't want to lug the D300/700 around.

3. Those are precisely my thoughts, and that is why I started this thread. But we haven't gotten any help, have we? :biggrin:

You might look at the D60 review at Imaging Resource. They seem pretty impressed with the high-iso performance.

4. ISO 1600 is the max we can go, I find it to be quite grainy, compared to other cameras that go up to ISO 6400. I only own the D60 though so I can't really answer that too well.

5. Hovmod

Hovmod

Aug 11, 2008
    Norway
    All the shots in this thread were taken at ISO 1600 with a D60, at the floodlit track in Singapore at night. The ones on page 2 were run through Noiseware to do something with the grain...

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=190844

I have no other camera to compare with, but at least these should give you an inkling. The first picture, where there's a white car in a very well lit spot, isn't that bad at all, tbh...

(all shot with a 70-300 VR at f/5.6 or better)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017