D600 Freezing/Locking-Up Issue

I have started experiencing a problem with my D600 that seems to be the same as the issue with some D800 and D4 described by Dan Havlik at PDN Online as:

"Nikon has received reports of a small number of D4/D800 users who are experiencing 'locking up' issues, where the camera becomes unresponsive until the battery is removed and reinserted," Nikon's statement reads. "Nikon is investigating a permanent solution to this issue and will update users accordingly. To immediately resolve this issue, users can turn off both the 'Highlights' and 'RGB Histogram' display options in the 'Playback Display Options' sub-menu found in the 'Playback' menu. Nikon apologizes for any inconvenience this may have caused users."

Has anyone else had freezing/locking-up problems with their D600?

I checked my firmware version, and I have C: 1.00. I will update it to the newest version, C: 1.01, to see if that helps. However, the information regarding that update doesn't mention the locking-up issue. Disabling 'RGB Histogram' doesn't seem to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you have 2 cards in both slots, try using only 1 card in a slot and leave the other empty and see if the locking still occurs.

if you have 2 cards in both slots, try using only 1 card in a slot and leave the other empty and see if the locking still occurs.

Thanks, nextelbuddy, Parker, and jpfigueiredo!

I have updated my firmware to C:1.01/L:1.006, and have disabled "'Highlights' and 'RGB Histogram' display options in the 'Playback Display Options' sub-menu."

Also, I will remove that second SD card.

I will post here, if it locks up again.

D4 locked up several times, since latest firmwear update no issue. Lockups of course happened while trying to shoot a x-country district finals; missed the shot, gone forever, and for that I paid 5999 to replace my D3s, nikong got an "F" with this one.

On my second D600, oil/debris galore on the first one. Second bought used was clean at 2K, but after putting 800 shots and probably half a dozen lense changes see debris or oil building in the upper left corner, showing up now in F8 shots.. another "F" by nikon

The good news, D600 and D4 still produce stunning images.. but these will be my last Nikon bodies.

I have had the same problem, it seems to happen when after shooting a photo I press the play button to look at the photo and the camera just locks up. I tried taking the SD card out, remove and the replace the battery, even taking the lens off and back on but nothing seems to help. I turn the camera off and wait and eventually the camera comes right. Since latest firmware upgrade I haven't experienced it and hopefully it has been fixed. On a recent holiday I took around 1200 RAW shots and not a problem.

I've had it with the latest firmware too. Rarely but it's happened :-(

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom