D600 or D7100 Upgrade

So, i may upgrade from the D7000 - though not before June or later in the summer - and have been considering the D600, though the dust/oil spot issues have been a concern i have expressed before in my posts here. Now comes the D7100
and i am wondering which of the two would be the most worthy upgrade. I like to shoot flowers, nature, landscapes,
travel, typical travel sites like fountains, streets, in museums, in churches and, of course, i like to photograph people, family, friends, and hopefully in the next couple of years a grandchild (not in my control!) Each season i go to a couple of Yankees games, but sports is not a compelling photographic compulsion.
When i purchased the camera i had a theme that i wished to explore that involved photographing people in situations that demanded quick reactions on my part and a good auto focus system.
I am not a polished photographer but i have the 105/2.8 that i love, and fast 35 and 50 mm lenses.
So, let me pose this question: What would you upgrade to if you had my interests? Would you stay with Nikon given quality control issues? Move to Canon while i still have a minimal investment in lenses? I do love that 105 micro lens though.
thanks for the responses

Read more: http://nikonites.com/d600/12690-d600-d7100.html#ixzz2QNPbbEnq

My opinion is to go for the D600. My reasoning is that it will offer you more choice of styles to explore and grow into - and that 105mm works superbly on FX. Now there is nothing wrong with DX and I use the D7000 too (for 2 years now) but the D600 is like another door opening with composition, focus and also picture quality.

But both are sound choices - it is just I would favour the D600.

I would go for D600. I gone from APSC to Full frame and the low light capabilities are excellent.

the only thing with APSC for you is that the crop factor which means you telephoto lens
105mm would be longer compare to Full Frame. otherwise its full frame all the way for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Am i correct that the bokeh would be better with the D600 and the 105 than with the
7100 and the 105 because the depth of field is more shallow?

I just went to a D600 from a D300 and am not sorry I went to full frame. The low light capability just blows me away. If you do indoor, low light shooting, I would definitely recommend the D600. (I haven't tried a D7100 though.)

Am i correct that the bokeh would be better with the D600 and the 105 than with the
7100 and the 105 because the depth of field is more shallow?
The depth of field is the same for DX and FX when using the same lens and taking a photo of the same subject at the same camera to subject distance. Only when you get 'less in' because of the smaller DX sensor so move physically back to get the same view as FX then does the depth of field change because you have moved position. The nearer you get the less DOF there is - whaterver the lens or camera. Even stopping down the aperture does not really solve this 100%.

I know this is a Nikon board, but with few lenses I think you shouldn't rule out Canon.

Between D600 and D7100 IMHO it comes down to glass. DX glass is really limited, but then again if you think you can be happy with the FX lineup on D71000 having the larger coverage for focus spots are a plus.

The limited focus coverage and the oil are my two complaints with the D600. Frankly if I was started with a clean slate.. I'd go to the other side.

Worth reading some editorials by Thom http://www.bythom.com/

So, i may upgrade from the D7000 - though not before June or later in the summer - and have been considering the D600, though the dust/oil spot issues have been a concern i have expressed before in my posts here. Now comes the D7100
and i am wondering which of the two would be the most worthy upgrade. I like to shoot flowers, nature, landscapes,
travel, typical travel sites like fountains, streets, in museums, in churches and, of course, i like to photograph people, family, friends, and hopefully in the next couple of years a grandchild (not in my control!) Each season i go to a couple of Yankees games, but sports is not a compelling photographic compulsion.
When i purchased the camera i had a theme that i wished to explore that involved photographing people in situations that demanded quick reactions on my part and a good auto focus system.
I am not a polished photographer but i have the 105/2.8 that i love, and fast 35 and 50 mm lenses.
So, let me pose this question: What would you upgrade to if you had my interests? Would you stay with Nikon given quality control issues? Move to Canon while i still have a minimal investment in lenses? I do love that 105 micro lens though.
thanks for the responses

Read more: http://nikonites.com/d600/12690-d600-d7100.html#ixzz2QNPbbEnq

Real Name
David
....I like to shoot flowers, nature, landscapes,
travel, typical travel sites like fountains, streets, in museums, in churches and, of course, i like to photograph people, family, friends, and hopefully in the next couple of years a grandchild (not in my control!).....
The D600 has the advantage in EVERY one of these with the possible exception of nature and flowers/marco (given the 105 you like so much). Reach/angle of view favor the D7100. But landscapes, street, museums, churches,... D600 is better. And unlike many (myself to some extent included) the build of the Nikon "consumer" body is not an issue for you as both bodies you are considering are in the same class.

....When i purchased the camera i had a theme that i wished to explore that involved photographing people in situations that demanded quick reactions on my part and a good auto focus system.
I am not a polished photographer but i have the 105/2.8 that i love, and fast 35 and 50 mm lenses. ....
The AF on the D7100 will be better, no question. But you are coming from a D7000 so you have to think whether it has been an issue for you? The AF in the D600 is an updated "tweaked" version of the one in the D7000. But would it be an issue given the % of the frame covered versus the % of the frame the AF in your D7000 covers.

....So, let me pose this question: What would you upgrade to if you had my interests? Would you stay with Nikon given quality control issues? Move to Canon while i still have a minimal investment in lenses? I do love that 105 micro lens though.
While a valid question I think you would find the same in the Canon world. I seem to remember hearing about AF issues, battery issues, etc on many Canon bodies over the years. Not really any more or less. Personally I have always found the feature set on the Nikon bodies more complete at a given level IMHO.

I would keep the d7000 and wait till nikon upgrades the D600, I think the upgrade for the D600 will be like they did to the d7000 to D7100, better focusing and no filter.
I just went from a D700 to the D7100 only because of the issues with the D600, as soon as they upgrade it i will buy one and keep the d7100.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
waiting seems like a very good idea - at least for a little while. I will, however, visit a camera superstore and look at the canons as well, factor in the cost of switching, recognizing that there are plusses and minuses to any move. thanks to all.

I went through this question and went with the D600. I have no regrets on going to FX. I took the same photos and had people I didn't know email me a lot asking what I changed. Everyone loves the change.

It comes down to your budget. The D600 is probably a better camera than D7100, but when you go to FX, you'll need to spend some money on good glass. The upside - FX lens selection is way better. Downside? It's expensive! :smile:

It comes down to your budget. The D600 is probably a better camera than D7100, but when you go to FX, you'll need to spend some money on good glass. The upside - FX lens selection is way better. Downside? It's expensive! :smile:
In general yes, but don't forget that Nikon has a huge line of older classic lenses (i.e. AF-D series) that were designed for 35 mm film and works magnificently well with FX bodies for only a fraction of the price of newer lenses.

Yup. And even then the 24-85 VR and the 28, 50, 85 f1.8G are all very affordable and very high performance lenses on the D600. I'm extremely happy with the FX lens selection. The idea that you have to buy the top end f2.8 lens for FX is simply wrong.

While agreeing that a good photographer can make great pictures with any lens and any camera, in general the newer lenses resolve much better than the older lenses. There's a reason the older 70-210 F/4 sells for $200 and the newer 70-200 F/4 sells for $1400.

There's a difference, especially with the higher MP counts of D600 and D800. It may or may not matter to your photography, but there is.

DX glass is really limited, but then again if you think you can be happy with the FX lineup on D71000 having the larger coverage for focus spots are a plus.

The limited focus coverage and the oil are my two complaints with the D600. Frankly if I was started with a clean slate.. I'd go to the other side.
I was under the impression that a Dx camera can use much more glass than an Fx camera.

I personally think you should look at getting great glass if you are going to wait. To me it implies that right now the camera is doing what you want. Which is something I regret not doing sometimes.

I would go with D600, if you have not decided yet. FX is very special. I never go back to DX. The price of D600 now is an advance compare to D7100.

ive upgraded to the d600 from canon 600d and to be honest im not seeying a great lot of change in my images but i am a beginner so i need more practice :)

steven

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom