D600 video question

Yesterday, I took my first video shots with my D600. I had been shooting raw photos before I did the video. My videos are very washed out with little saturation and contrast. Do I need to take my camera out of raw before shooting the videos? I am a total newbie to DSLR video. I have done some on my Olympus OM-D E-M5 and they were always very contrasty and saturated. Any tips on settings for a newbie would be appreciated so much.

Hi Terri,

Having the camera set for raw stills won't affect the video. Your white balance selection will impact the video footage as will the use of picture control profiles like these:

http://www.similaar.com/foto/flaat-picture-controls/index.html

If you want the equivalent of "raw" video and you are really feeling ambitious, you can also use a Ninja 2 recorder to capture the uncompressed HDMI stream from the sensor to get 10-bit footage that can be color-graded in an editing program like Premiere Pro. They've come down in price quite a bit and work great for the D600 and D800.

Sean

Sean

Hi Terri,

Having the camera set for raw stills won't affect the video. Your white balance selection will impact the video footage as will the use of picture control profiles like these:

http://www.similaar.com/foto/flaat-picture-controls/index.html

If you want the equivalent of "raw" video and you are really feeling ambitious, you can also use a Ninja 2 recorder to capture the uncompressed HDMI stream from the sensor to get 10-bit footage that can be color-graded in an editing program like Premiere Pro. They've come down in price quite a bit and work great for the D600 and D800.

Sean

Sean
Wow, I've got so much to learn. Not interested in spending more money right now so I've got to figure out how to get the best result out of the camera. Not sure why the footage I took is so washed out.

Terry - you can use jpg settings for video (sharpen, vivid color type of these). Try that and see how it works for me. Try setting those say to medium and see how you like it.

Sean, I just realized that my reply to you sounded a bit cold. I'm sorry....Thank you so much for the link and for the information. I have had a lot going on today and haven't been able to experiment more. I am sure I will have more questions for you should you have time to help me. Thanks again, and sorry for my first reply.

Sean, I just realized that my reply to you sounded a bit cold. I'm sorry....Thank you so much for the link and for the information. I have had a lot going on today and haven't been able to experiment more. I am sure I will have more questions for you should you have time to help me. Thanks again, and sorry for my first reply.
No problem, Terri - I didn't sense anything cold in your reply.

Sean

Here is a link to a video clip....sorry about the shaking camera. I was handholding and laughing. It shows the washed out colors and lack of contrast in the video clips straight out of the camera.

http://terrif.zenfolio.com/p150692629/e6dd8f7b7
That does look flat. As Jeff mentioned you can use the picture profile presets to better saturate the footage, or you can color grade it in an editor afterwards. Here's what it looks like after a warm gamma curve is applied in Adobe Speedgrade (original on the right, graded on the left):

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That does look flat. As Jeff mentioned you can use the picture profile presets to better saturate the footage, or you can color grade it in an editor afterwards. Here's what it looks like after a warm gamma curve is applied in Adobe Speedgrade (original on the right, graded on the left):

http://centennialstudios.com/terri.jpg
I am using final cut pro x. I bet I can color correct in it. I have taken video on my OM-D E-M5 and they turn out so great. I was surprised when I saw the results from my D600 and figured there must be some camera setting I needed to change. I will try changing the profile presets and do some testing. Thanks, Sean for showing me the difference. It makes a huge difference.

I am using final cut pro x. I bet I can color correct in it. I have taken video on my OM-D E-M5 and they turn out so great. I was surprised when I saw the results from my D600 and figured there must be some camera setting I needed to change. I will try changing the profile presets and do some testing. Thanks, Sean for showing me the difference. It makes a huge difference.
Oh, yes, if you have FCP X you can correct it - Apple refers to their feature as the "color board" in FCP:

https://vimeo.com/26361468

Sean

I often color correct in post (the most accurate) but I do use the color and sharpness set to the middle just as a start.

Terri,

Your Picture Controls affect your Video.

You can, if you wish, shoot in B+W PC - Or Vivid or Landscape etc.

If the PC that you are using is in any way altered it will affect the result?

I shoot in Neutral PC for stills but I think that Standard is more suitable for the Movies (or B+W). The problem with B+W Video is that you can't turn it back to another PC in NX2 as you can with RAW.

Also, getting the sharpening and WB right in-camera is more of a problem with Movies.

DG

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom