D600 vs D700 for a back-up back-up body?

I'm currently shooting two D750 bodies for my DSLRs (Sony A7III bodies for mirrorless). I was originally considering other cameras like the D810, D4 and Z6. I really want 3 bodies though to minimize lens swapping. I'll be mainly shooting with a 16-35mm, 70-200mm, 50mm 1.8 and/or 300mm lenses. I don't feel like upgrading my D750 bodies, because they excel mostly in the area I use them for which is event photography (I don't shoot landscape, sports or BIF). Also due to the D750 wifi, sometimes I need to upload to social media on the fly, so the D750 actually makes for a useful piece of kit.

I was thinking I really don't need anything fancy and either a low shutter count D600 or D700, might do the trick. Both will have to be gripped. If I get a D600, I'll get the same shared battery, similar 24mp sensor and dual card slots, but in a plasticky body and the crappy 39 AF point module. Due to AF limitations of the D600, it will mainly be paired either with the 16-35mm or 50mm. Though image quality with this setup should be similar across the board with rest of my kit. If I go with another D700, it'll have the old 12mp sensor, but with the EN-EL4A battery in an MB-D10 grip, I'll get 8fps. Plus it has the full mag alloy chassis and 51 point AF system which might might come in handy with the 300mm f4 PF VR (less low shutter speed vibration) and I know it'll be a champ on my 70-200mm!

I don't want to spend more than $500, preferably less than $400 for this back-up, back-up camera! Sure I can spend a little more and get another D750, but then I'll want a D810, but if I buy a D810 I might as well go all out and get a D850. See where this leads! Actually my ideal 3rd body would be the Z6, but after briefly owning one for the 2nd time, I realized I'd only be using it with my F-mount glass which would make it a little redundant! :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Help me decide!

Last edited:

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Go for a D610 as the D600 has well oil on the sensor problems unless you find a re shuttered body.

I quite liked the D700 that I owned briefly, it gave nice colours and the 12MP was not too noticeable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You definitely want to stick to a 24 mp body for continuity. Why do you need a back up to a back up? :whistle:
If I'm shooting outdoor events, my wide is the 16-35mm f4 VR, + 70-200mm 2.8 VRII and the third on the 300mm f4 PF VR. If I'm shooting indoor gigs, one body will most likely be mounted with a flash, the second will have the 70-200mm 2.8 VR for behind the stage/reception area type shots and the 3rd body will have a short, fast prime for low light candids, close-ups, etc.

I usually have the one of the bodies holstered in my Think Tank holster case attached to my camera belt. I'm a real fast event shooter that likes to maximize coverage, so lens swapping slows me down!

Go for a D610 as the D600 has well oil on the sensor problems unless you find a re shuttered body.

I quite liked the D700 that I owned briefly, it gave nice colours and the 12MP was not too noticeable.
Yeah, I have a fondness for the D700 from owning one back in the day and now they're dirt cheap. Though I'd most likely use this body on the 300mm PF VR or on a fast prime for candids and close-ups. With 12mp only, I'd have to keep cropping to a minimum. 24mp has spoiled me a bit. 36mp and up is just overkill for my hard drives!

Real Name
David
How's your workflow with the cards? And CF cards? With the D700 you're back to one card. I would often use 2-4gb cards and change regularly or at specific points. When I went to two cards I went to 32bg cards and left them throughout the event. Then I could take one out and carry it on my person if the area / situation warranted it.

How's your workflow with the cards? And CF cards? With the D700 you're back to one card. I would often use 2-4gb cards and change regularly or at specific points. When I went to two cards I went to 32bg cards and left them throughout the event. Then I could take one out and carry it on my person if the area / situation warranted it.
I have some Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB CF cards laying around from my previous D800 and D3S bodies. I'm a bit paranoid selling old media cards (from my news shooting days) since images can be recovered without a deep format. I have a bunch of SD cards as well. Ideally I'd like 2 slots on the D600, but since this would be the back-up, back-up body, 1 slot is fine since the third body will only shoot 2nd/3rd tier material that wouldn't need immediate uploads for social media.

This might sound a bit nit-picky, but I dislike how the older mid-range Nikon DSLRs didn't put the rubber on the memory card doors. I was so happy when Nikon implemented that with the newer camera bodies like the D810 D750 and up...but then they started doing away with vertical shutter battery grips! :cautious:

If you're happily shooting D750's and are wanting a backup backup there is no reason I can think of to get other than another D750. Set it and forget it... no worrying if your settings on a different model will be close enough for same results and no thinking involved when grabbing for a different model camera. K.I.S.S.

Real Name
Andrew
Honestly I would stick with a Nikon D750 or D700 simply for the auto focus. The 600 series auto focus is the same as in the Nikon DF, while capable for some things if you’re going to shoot for sports I wouldn’t think that you would appreciate the 600 series as much.

just my 2 cents worth.

Real Name
David
Honestly I would stick with a Nikon D750 or D700 simply for the auto focus. The 600 series auto focus is the same as in the Nikon DF, while capable for some things if you’re going to shoot for sports I wouldn’t think that you would appreciate the 600 series as much.

just my 2 cents worth.
My biggest issue with the D600 AF was the point spread. Focus and recompose on the outer edges doesn't work when the subject is moving. Think B&G on the dance floor with the parents in the background.

If you're happily shooting D750's and are wanting a backup backup there is no reason I can think of to get other than another D750. Set it and forget it... no worrying if your settings on a different model will be close enough for same results and no thinking involved when grabbing for a different model camera. K.I.S.S.
The D750 is a great event camera. I have no complaints and still shoot with mine for event work. Since I already have two D750s, for a third back-up, I don't mind spending a little less.

just my 2 cents worth.
My biggest issue with the D600 AF was the point spread. Focus and recompose on the outer edges doesn't work when the subject is moving. Think B&G on the dance floor with the parents in the background.
I'm kind of leaning towards the D700 mainly for the 8fps with the grip and because I have an EN-EL4A charger I never got around to selling! I'm pretty happy with the D750 for event shooting, in fact I feel I can get the most out of any camera I shoot with nowadays, be it a Nikon J5 or if I acquired a brand new D6! :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Real Name
David
.....I'm kind of leaning towards the D700 mainly for the 8fps with the grip and because I have an EN-EL4A charger I never got around to selling! I'm pretty happy with the D750 for event shooting, in fact I feel I can get the most out of any camera I shoot with nowadays, be it a Nikon J5 or if I acquired a brand new D6! :ROFLMAO: :LOL:
The D700 was one of my all time favorite bodies.

I wanted to follow-up to this thread. I found a low shutter count clean D700+MB-D10 grip+EN-EL4A battery. I have a spare EN-EL4A charger I never got around to selling, so no need for an additional charger, plus I still have fast Sandisk Extreme Pro CF cards laying around. I was debating between getting a D4, D850, D810, D800, Z6, D600/610 and another D750. All I wanted was another camera that could shoot fast and primarily attached to either my 70-200mm 2.8 VRII or 300mm f/4 PF VR when outdoors. Since this body is a back-up to my back-up (D750 pair), I think 12mp will be fine. I went through some of my older larger prints, and honestly they look just as good as some of my higher MP cameras. Also I found they sell CF to SD card adapters if I ever wanted to just stick to an SD card workflow, so no need to even use CF cards anymore!

I wanted to follow-up to this thread. I found a low shutter count clean D700+MB-D10 grip+EN-EL4A battery.

…………..I think 12mp will be fine.

I went through some of my older larger prints, and honestly they look just as good as some of my higher MP cameras.
12mp is more than enough for any viewing medium other than very large prints. I can't find a single thing that my D800 does better than my D3S. Literally, not one thing. I'm considering selling it and getting a D3 to use with my D3S. Other than printing really big, which I don't do, I see zero advantage to more than 12mp.

Also I found they sell CF to SD card adapters if I ever wanted to just stick to an SD card workflow, so no need to even use CF cards anymore!
Maybe they've improved but I gave those a try with my D3 about 7 years ago and they act as a bottle neck between the buffer and the SD card. The buffer can dump the data to CF cards much faster.

12mp is more than enough for any viewing medium other than very large prints. I can't find a single thing that my D800 does better than my D3S. Literally, not one thing. I'm considering selling it and getting a D3 to use with my D3S. Other than printing really big, which I don't do, I see zero advantage to more than 12mp.
The only reason I went the D700 as opposed to other bodies was mainly due to low price and the ability to get faster frame rates. I had a D3S awhile ago and sold it to switch over to the D750, which I think is better suited as an all-purpose and wifi equipped camera. I don't really love the D750, but it's the kind of camera that hits all the right buttons for what I need it for. I'll probably just use the D700 mainly with either my 300mm f/4 PF VR or 50mm 1.8 G. My D750 bodies handle the 16-35mm f/4 VR and 70-200mm 2.8 VR-II much better!

Maybe they've improved but I gave those a try with my D3 about 7 years ago and they act as a bottle neck between the buffer and the SD card. The buffer can dump the data to CF cards much faster.
I'll probably just stick to my Sandisk Extreme Pro CF cards!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom