D600 + WU-1b + DSLR Dashboard = AWESOME!!

A few months ago I bough the WU-1B wireless adapter for my D600. After downloading Nikons App for Android, I was very sorely disappointed.

Nikon's app is VERY limiting and only features a shutter, there is no adjustment to the camera settings available.

Fast forward to today. I was doing some searching and found another App, called DSLR Dashboard. After installing the app, I was blown away! EVERY CAMERA SETTING is adjustable through this app. It is simple and straight forward to use. The interface is very well thought out and simple.

My Nexus 7 will now go with me on all my photo outing as the WU-1B is an incredible addition to the D600 with this software.

Is this a new app that just came out? Is it more reliable and stable than the WMAU app? That Nikon app kept crashing and sometimes loses camera connection. I miss the D600 and I will get another one as a 2nd body. Can't wait to try this out!

Is this a new app that just came out? Is it more reliable and stable than the WMAU app? That Nikon app kept crashing and sometimes loses camera connection. I miss the D600 and I will get another one as a 2nd body. Can't wait to try this out!
Joseph,

Mine worked well until I updated the firmware. I loved using it as it made for a nice shutter release.

Thanks for the heads up on this app. sounds like just what I have been looking for a low cost remote and with all camera features available from a phone, extended bracketing looks like a possiblity as well. It looks like it will work with a Micro USB on the go cable as well so WU-1b may not be necessary.

Works great with Droid phone and D7100. Downloaded and taking photos in 10 minutes Very cool find. Hard to believe that there is no ipad equivalent out there, but I sure don't see one in my searching.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This app is able to change EVERY camera setting. It even has built in settings that the camera doesn't have, such as focus stacking. The focus stacking setting actually lets the app take over the camera and adjusts focus for each frame for as many frames as you want to shoot.

And it DOES do Live View, that was the main reason I wanted the WU-1B.

Here is a screen shot using my Nexus 7. I was actually inside the house when I took this picture. My camera was outside about 50 feet away as I was controlling the camera through my tablet :cool:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I just ordered the WU-1b for my D600 also after seeing this thread. Was going to pass on it for now, but it's just too easy.

TY for posting this , i have been trying a App called helicon remote on my samsung S3 , but free version is only jpeg , no raw .
DSLR Dashboard is wayyy better after just a quick look at it .

Im using a OTG cable which can be bought online for around 5 $

Thanks for posting this... I have a Nexus 7, D600, USB OTG cable and the app, but for some reason never tried it out yet.

Will also look into getting a WU-1B adapter.

Got my Wu-1b today. Everything works with the DSLR Dashboard from my GS3. Might have to buy a 10" Android tablet now.

I've been playing with it a lot late. I have been able to get it working on custom bracketing up to 21 shots. You can make the settings for it, and save a bracketing profile, but it to make it bracket more than the 3 shot limit, you have to press and hold the custom bracket button, be in Host mode, and in either M or A. You cannot have normal bracketing on either.

What I found through doing some reading:
"...turn on 'host mode' and disable AF (long press the AF button - red means AF is enabled). In live view you set your initial focus (with the AF button or with the manual focus movement button in the bottom of the live view). Then you bring up the focus stacking dialog and select the desired number of images and the focus step that should be performed between the captures (you should experiment with the focus step while in live view to see what steps you need - depends on the attached lens). Finally you hit the 'start focus stacking' button.
The problem with the manual focus movement is that the application don't know where currently the focus is set. There is only one command for moving the focus up or down by the specified step. Also moving the focus once by 20 and then moving the focus back two times by 10 is not the same.

For custom bracketing you need to press and hold (long press) the BKT button in top row. After you enabled the custom bracketing you only need to press the capture button and the application will do the rest according the settings that you made in the custom bracketing dialog (under/over exposure count, exposure step). "

I can't get the app to recognize the WU-1B all of the time. Sometimes it will, but it takes multiple tries quite a bit. It's just not quick to establish a connection - the Nikon app is much faster at connecting - but the Nikon app just doesn't have many features.

If you have time to setup, DSLR Dashboard works, but don't try to use it in a "hurry-up" situation. It's still in beta, but its the best option right now on Android for wireless smartphone tethering.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom