D70 and Nikkor 300 2.8 AF-S - Incompatible?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by helmet155, Oct 6, 2005.

1. This nasty rumor popped up while doing research on a setup for wildlife and birding...Budget + Performance led me between the Sigma 300/2.8 and the Nikkor 300/2.8 Type I AF-S...

Any of you have any problems or have heard of problems between the D70 and the 300/2.8 AF-S? I rented one and it worked pretty well, but in low light it would hunt, a lot (probably normal with the weak focus system on the 70)

I've got the dough to hold out for a nice AF-S II model used, I think...based on their used selling price of around $2500...not sure exactly how much they are used but I have seen that number tossed around on some of my research...

Thanks for your help,

Brett

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Can't say my experiences with the D70 and the 300/2.8 AFS (I) support this rumour at all. The combination works very well indeed.

Any AF system can hunt when light levels are really low. The speed of the lens has a significant influence on the degree of hunting, or lack thereof.

3. Thanks for the feedback, I thought it worked fine for me, but this rumor seems to be pretty popular...not sure why.

Bjorn, you're the "lens king" do you have any input on the Sigma 300/2.8 HSM?

Thanks again,

Brett

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Nope. Don't use third-party lenses myself, and as you might know, my lens testing is an unpaid service to all of you (so I have to set a limit somewhere, and that typically is with potentially better Nikkors). Otherwise I would be preoccupied with suchlike mundane chores all day and wouldn't have time for doing assignments, the profit of which makes me a living and also allows me, now and then, to purchase yet another lens :biggrin:

5. I rented a Nikon 300mm F2.8 for a weekend to use on my D70 and it worked great. In fact, I was so impressed with its performance I'm thinking strongly of it being my next purchase.

louie

6. Hahaha!! That is also my problem! I loved the lens and from what I can tell they are just under 2k used...

7. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    As mentioned the Nikon works AF-S just fine with a D70,
    The Sigma 120-300 can be found for $500-1000 less thank the nikon used, and the Sigma 300 prime for even less if you are on the cheap.

The Sigmas are great, but you get what you pay for, the Nikon prime is one of hte finest optics available. I still prefer the performance of the Sigma 120-300 to the Nikon 70-200VR, I think it is sharper wide open, so it;s not like the Sigmas are poor performers.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. each day that passes i save a little more, going to the vr is seeming like a reality.

if it'll net me more keepers, it will be worth it...

i need to find one used though :)

10. LarryC

LarryC Guest

I also have a 300mm/2.8 AFS and a D70s, they work flawlessly together.

11. For completeness, I have used both the Nikon 300 AFS and the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 HSM on both my D70 and my D2H. Not much difference in focus speed with HSM vs. AFS. The one BIG difference comes in use of TC's, if you are so inclined. Even though the Sigma is f2.8, and the TC-14 once modified works great, kiss off the TC-17 and the TC-20, AF hunts badly. They all work great with the Nikon optics however. My personal, very subjective, opinion on the difference between the Sigma and Nikon lenses, I have both the 120-300 f2.8 HSM and the 500 f4.5 HSM, is that I think the Sigma's are 90-95% as good as the Nikons. It is very hard for me to describe the "why" of my opinion, certainly no objective testing as Bjorn does so well, but my impressions from using both. Being "money frugal" you can see which way I went :wink: