D70 Cha error

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by c6530, Aug 22, 2008.

1. c6530

c6530

Aug 15, 2008
    Norway
    Thought I'd start a new thread rather than tag this onto Lynn's 'D70 purchase' thread.

I too have found what looks like a good deal on a D70 (just under 4000 act.) from a camera shop which will offer a few months' guarantee. I thought this would make a good 2nd camera, giving more lens options (with AF).

But, I have just been reading a long thread on another forum about the CF card problem (CHA error), (now appearing on the D200 as well, it seems). Doing a Google search brings up an alarming number of forum discussions, though that gives no indication of the percentage of owners experiencing this.

So, does anybody know just how widespread this problem really is? Would it be unwise to buy this camera? Should I rather put the money towards a D300, keeping my D40 as a back-up?

Any thoughts appreciated. (And sorry if this gets you worried, Lynn!)

2. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    D70 CHA error

No worries Chris,
    I have seen the same post you have. I choose to believe that is a pretty small percentage of owners having that problem, and I suspect it is on cameras that have a lot of use (although I don't know that for sure).

In general, I am a glass-is-half-full type of guy so I am planning for good luck on my ebay purchase. I had a chance to speak to the seller on the phone. He sounded quite positive I will be very happy with the purchase. Guess we will know pretty soon.

I'll be watching this thread, but I'm not fretting about it.

Regards,
    Lynn

3. roundout

roundout

Aug 19, 2008
    DFW
    Whenever I get the CHA error I just pull out the CF card and re-insert it. That technique has worked every time. I have never missed a shot due to CHA error. That said, I am a hobbyist and if I was a pro, I'd get it fixed (or have a better body).

4. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    According to Nikon tech support the CHA error will occur when the CF contacts are dirty. I get an occasional CHA error on my D70 and I just pull the card out and re-insert it, then its works fine.

5. bett

bett

Mar 31, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I got that "CHA" on my D70 once. It appeared to wreck my CF card.
    I was at a friends house when it happened. The camera simply wouldn't
    record any images to the card, and deleted what was there. I took the
    card out a couple times, tried to reformat.... Zip! nothing.
    I got home tried a new card, and it worked. Tossed the bad card, and haven't
    had a problem since.

I thought for sure the CF card went phooie. This thread is the only other
    time I've heard of it. I had actually forgotten about it till now.

6. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    ya know what, i owned a D70, and while i loved it so, i experienced every problem that has plagued D70's. BGLOD, flash stopped firing, and cha errors. My research has led me to believe that these errors will happen with all of the cameras not just some, it's just a matter of time.

I sold my D70 when it was having the cha error. It had all 3 of those problems and had less than 20k on the shutter.

The CHA error isn't that big of a deal, usually you have to pull the CF card and re-insert. Really only lost pics about half a dozen times.

7. c6530

c6530

Aug 15, 2008
    Norway
    If one goes looking for a problem, then of course it's going to loom large and out of proportion, and nobody is likely to start a thread saying 'My D70 is working faultlessly'! But from what I've now read on various forums, I feel inclined to agree with Leo, that most D70 owners can expect to experience this problem at some stage. I've come across many who solve the CHA error by just removing and replacing the card, but lots have had to try other solutions, ranging from trying various card types/capacities; trying to clean or re-align the contacts; re-wiring the card holder; DIY replacement of the card unit; and sending back to Nikon for a replacement. One poster expressed frustration that Nikon refuses to accept that this is any sort of design fault issue. But were they to admit that then it would presumably be very expensive for them (though most of these cameras must be out of warranty now).

It's a pity because it looks like a great camera, and the deal I found is excellent.

8. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    The only time I expirienced CHA, I just changed to a new card. That was after 25K images, and have not had the problem again in another 10K on my D70....at the prices these days it is a great camera.....

9. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    have had my D70 since 04 and have never had a cha error.. just an fee error when the lens contacts needed cleaning..

10. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    Have one D70 with close to 50,000 clicks. Have the CHA now and then but always goes away after removing and re-inserting memory card. That camera has been through a LOT - surprised it hasn't had more problems...... on the other hand my son's took two servicings to get rid of the GBLOD problem and was less than reliable until its untimely demise with 25,000 clicks (got dropped pretty bad)

11. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Our D70 has been doing the CHA-cha and FOR for some time (30k clicks). We recently narrowed the problem down to one battery, with another one giving an occasional error. Reinserting the card works sometimes on the former, always on the latter. The other two batteries (all Nikons) are no problem, and all function identically in my D200.

I'm still debating whether to replace it, and with what. :rolleyes:

12. My D70 game me three years of great service, but, about 25,000 shutter clicks into it's life I started getting the CHA and FOR errors with it. Like others have said - pulling the card out and reinserting it into the CF card slot usually does the trick but occasionally I'd have to actually format the card and then reinsert to get it to work.

13. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    I had this problem on my D2H, I used a card that bent a prong, i ended up sending it in and Nikon Fixed the problem.