d70 - entire row of hot pixels

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by kays, Sep 7, 2008.

1. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well, a friend's d-70 developed what appears to be a sensor problem - a row of pixels (vertical = column?) down almost centred in every capture.

I'm guessing the sensor is kaput. Does anyone have any idea what the cost would be to replace the sensor? My guess is that it will not be cost effective to do so.

What to do... What to do...

Any recommendations on something cheap, used, or cheap and used?

2. JCole

JCole Guest

I don't think it's worth it to repair with new D80's going for $575.

3. ChrisA

ChrisA Guest

This defect can be corrected surprisingly well in software. With the bayer mosaic color filter most of the data you see is interpolated in the normal case. With a row of defective pixels just a little more interpolation is required. You would never notice.

If you shoot RAW and use any raw converter based on 'dcraw" then you enter the list of defective pixels into a file. The raw conversion will interpolate around those bad pixels. I doubt you will notice the problem. You could try and fix the JPG files but the best place in durring raw converson, there a dead pixel only means a slight change to the interpolation algorithm

The software is free, not much to loose. The URL below lists all the software based in dcraw as wel as dcraw itself which works well
    http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

I'm not 100% sure but I bet that Nikon's "dust off" feature might work too. It uses the same method as above but it's intended for dust.

4. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Very cool Chris - I'll have to pass that one along!

5. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Nice condition D70 and D70s bodies are going for around $300-350 these days. Would probably be cheaper than a repair. And you could probably sell the messed up body to someone looking to do an IR conversion.

6. Have you checked with

Nikon Service? It is an 800 number, and they could let you know the range of repair costs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.