1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

D70 for repair

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Jarema, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Jarema

Jarema

Jul 21, 2007
    ct
    Today as my brother and I were out shooting he accidently dropped his D70 it hit some stones and a small puddle of water at the edge of the stream. Now it wont turn on, the body is cracked on the corner by the top LCD and strap bracket. He call nikon and is sending it in for a free estimate. Does anyone have any experience with something like this and how nikon handles this situtation meaning are they expensive, or should he just start shopping for a new body? Thanks

2. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    It never hurts to get a free estimate from Nikon... If the repair cost is more than $300, I would start looking for a new camera.

3. Jarema

Jarema

Jul 21, 2007
    ct
    Thanks, we have all ready started slowly looking around and checking out prices. Now it's deciding if he should replace the D70 which we both love or upgrading to the D200. Any thoughts I noticed that you have both?

4. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    The D200 is in a complete different league than the D70 in my opinion. I love the build quality and the bigger lcd. I feel that it handles better to do to the larger body. I never used the "dummy modes" on the D70, I much prefer the iso, quality, and white balance settings atop of the D200.

5. Jarema

Jarema

Jul 21, 2007
    ct
    Thanks I will have to keep that in mind and see what happens

6. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    Given current prices the D70 may be 'uneconomic to repair'. Looks like D80's are dropping in price - if you can find one - prior to a new model coming out. Will cost you mid $700's compared to $1200 for a D200. There's a substantial difference in size and weight between the D70/80 and D200. Try them out before buying. Also - battery life on the D200 is much shorter - think about a battery grip - or carry a spare battery.

The D70 was OK, but the dim viewfinder and small display drove me nuts.

7. Jarema

Jarema

Jul 21, 2007
    ct
    Thanks John, optically is the D200 far more superior to the D70? and wouldnt the d80 be almost like taking a step back compared to the D70?

8. I don't know what optics have to do with a camera body? The D80 is an upgrade to the D70 in many respects, so no its not a step backward when compared. I went from a D70 to a D200 and its quite a jump, but depending on your subject matter the D200 is a fantastic camera. I would imagine there is about a $300 price difference between a used D80 body and a used D200, if you can afford it I would spend the extra to get the D200, however if you can't you won't be disappointed with the D80 either.

AM

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2008
  9. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    lol damn if it breaks you gotta pay to repair?
    i thought it gets replaced.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.