d70 HELP...PLEASE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bosslady, May 26, 2007.

1. Bosslady

Bosslady

Jul 3, 2006
    South Arkansas
    not sure if this is the right place, but here goes...

I was shooting some friends today. I switched lens, and my d70 seem to have locked up like a pc will do. So, I took the battery out and waited a minute. Put it back in and now the d70 will not power back on. So I came home, not entirely sure that my battery was not dead and charged the battery. Just a few minutes ago, I attempted to power the camera back on with no luck.

I called nikon and they were basically speechless. He suggested trying another battery. I don't have one, but I do have a friend that does. I'm about to go try her battery. Other wise he said send it to nikon.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

2. bruceh4

bruceh4

Jan 16, 2006
    Loudon, TN
    Emergency Reset

Have you tried the emergency reset button on the bottom of the camera? If not remove the battery and using the end of a pen or paper clip push the reset button on the bottom of the camera. Refer to your manual for the location of the button. After you push the button reinstall the battery and then try to turn the camera on.
    If it still does not work then a trip to Nikon for the camera may be in order.

3. what he said......

4. Bosslady

Bosslady

Jul 3, 2006
    South Arkansas
    Thanks Bruce and Ditto, The battery didn't work, and the reset button didn't either. Thanks for you help. I guess a trip to nikon is in order.

5. Sounds like a short or a strong static charge? not sure how changing lenses would do that though, I hope its just your battery...

6. Bosslady

Bosslady

Jul 3, 2006
    South Arkansas
    Thanks lexiticus.......but it doesn't seem to be the battery. I tried another one and it would not work. So I guess it's off to nikon it goes.

7. Bosslady

Bosslady

Jul 3, 2006
    South Arkansas
    Thanks joe,
    I called about it. It's a similar problem, but may not be covered. They said i could go ahead and send it in for advisory. Thanks for a glimmer of hope though.
    Elizabeth

8. That is a standard answer. I've had three D70's back to Nikon for service, one way out of warranty, and have never paid a thing.

Good luck!

9. Arrrghhh! Mine is going

back a Fourth time. I trued to use it today and could not select the focus area. Make sure you check you camera out thoroughly after getting it back!

10. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Joe,

Nikon has an unofficial policy of replacing an item sent in for repair if they fail to correct it on three tries. You might want to raise that policy when you calll Nikon Customer Service to request a return mailing label. The Nikon employee answering your call will make a note of it and the actual service supervisor will make the decision when your camera arrives at Nikon. I got a new D50 much to my surprise and satisfaction.

11. Thanks, Glenn.

I certainly will bring up the number of returns as an issue, and will look into the policy.

12. I got a new D70 after one I owned failed after it went out of warranty. It subsequently failed two more times and I got the replacement. It was broke on arrival and had to immediately go back... :confused: But they fixed it.

13. Jim, I really

hate having a camera down. I now use a D200 almost exclusively, but having the D70 as a backup really adds a sense of comfort, especially when shooting an event. I hope the will make good on a replacement. Thanks for relating your story.

14. Bosslady

Bosslady

Jul 3, 2006
    South Arkansas
    Thanks everyone. I will be sending it off tuesday. I'm not lucky enough to have a back up camera. Hopefully one day I will be able to afford a back up, but until then I wait. I will let you know what happens.

15. I had my first D70 for 13 months and then it developed the BGLOD. (This was prior to their acknowledging the problem and offering the free fix.) I was in the middle of shooting a nesting Canada goose and could not do w/o a camera. So, we ordered another D70 body. Nikon fixed the first body for free and returned it to me. I'm not sure of all the time-lines for the following, but the first camera failed about three months after the original repair for a ERR message. I sent it back and they fixed it for free and called it a re-repair. When the camera was 18 months old, it failed again with a similar ERR message. They replaced the camera. The replacement camera was brand new, had never had a firmware update, and the top LCD was not working. I immediately sent it back and they repaired it. I have since sold that body. The second D70 body also had the BGLOD and was repaired for free. It also had an FEE error on all non-G type lenses that I could not fix. (The kit lens worked fine, all of my other glass has aperture rings...) So, they fixed that for free as well. Most every time they even paid postage both ways. I still have this body and use it only occasionally. If it fails again, I should be eligible for another replacement. As much as I feel I've been treated quite well by Nikon Service (and I really have), I wish I never had to use them...

So, when I switched to the D2H body, I purchased two so when one fails, I have another to hold me over. I prefer having two identical bodies as it makes for a seamless backup. But that's just me...

Good luck Elizabeth & Joe. I'm sure it will all work out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.