D70 IR Mod...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Seymore, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Hey Wilk... IC you have a D70 IR modded cam. Talk to us about this please... Where did you get this done? Who much was the cost? Got any samples?

Just that I now have a D70 that could have this done...

Thanks man!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2005
  2. D70 IRmod

Wilk told me about his IR mod. So I had mine done and I love it. Check out http://www.lifepixel.com Cost is $200 for a D70 and many other Nikons. Also, note that not every lens is suitable for IR. The 18-70mm works well. Many produce a hot spot in the center of the image and this increases in size as you stop down. This is caused by the type of paint used insided the lens barrel. Good Luck.

3. My question is with this procedure damage the camera? In other words, can you use the camera for regular shooting too?

4. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Thanks for the link SE... And, right in my backyard!!! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!
    http://www.lifepixel.com/digital-infrared/contact.html
    But, with my D70 still under warranty, I'll be waiting till early next year to have this done.

UPDATE: Just got off the horn with one of the owners. Looks like the "hotspot" issue is mainly with non-Nikon/Nikkor lenses. The paint that Sigma/Tamron/Tokina uses plays heII with the IR, and bounces it all over the place. Thus you get hotspots in the image. Nikon/Nikkor lenses don't have the issue... or at least not reported.

Only by converting/reversing the process and putting the orig filter back into place can you get back to normal light shooting mode. BTW, they do sell just the filters, and have a tutorial for doing the work yourself. Cost for just the filter is somewhere around $95.

5. Basically do this conversion only if you really want to shoot a lot of IR....its not only potentially dangerous but dusty to remove and replace the low pass filter with the IR filter and vice versa every time you want to use it for a certain type of photography.
    It may be best just ot pick up a spare body (D70 and D100 are both selling @ very good prices now used) and have it converted. I'm having my 70 converted a while after my D200 arrives.
    Of course you can always do IR shooting without the conversion, but the ocnversion is very helpful- it improves IR response by an alarming number of stops :cool:

6. Thank you Harrison and Seymore for the answer. I have the S2 aside from the D2X but I am trying to sell it so I wouldn't want to have the S2 converted at this time.

If I did, I wouldn't do it myself. Too much trouble to go through. I don't mind taking the long way to shoot IR>