D70 mirror cleaning...not the right way, but.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vernon t, Nov 1, 2005.

1. To restate...this is "not not not" what I would do to my camera or any of yours but....

I was in Best Buy 3 days ago. A D70 with no lens was on display, handled by any and all interested shoppers. No lens was mounted. No body cap was in place. The body...wide open the the vicious public elements.

I looked at the mirror and a big piece of smeared dried gunk was on the mirror!:eek:

I don't know what is was but my guess would be a piece of ham, previously lodged between some teen's molars, having been coughed into the camera. Fact is better than fiction...this brown-pink thing adhering itself to the mirror.

I tried to nudge it away with a puff of breath. No such luck. I pushed it with my fingertip. No budge. My fingernail...solid. I licked my fingertip and vigorously went at it with that "cleaning device", then my fingernail...completing the job with several warm humid breaths and finally a thorough polishing with my t-shirt.

Ah-ha....sqeeky factory-new sparkling clean D70 mirror once again.
    Very close inspection showed the mirror to look perfectly pristine.:tongue:

The morals:

1. Do not do as I do.

2. I would not be even remotely hesitant to wipe mine down with a breath of humid air and a pec-pad if conditions require. While front-surface mirrors absolutely should be treated with utmost respect they are tougher than some would have you believe.

3. Ever wonder where "factory reconditioned" equipment comes from???? :Dizzy:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2005
  2. I hope you washed your hands after that experience! :Sick: Being a doctor, I'm sure you did. It's good to know the mirror can take that much "scrubbing." Thanks for the info.

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    man, i can't beleive you would even touch that booger, or whatever that piece of debris was! EWWWWWW!

4. I touch worse...albeit most typically with gloves.

My classic "I hate it when that happens" is when a baby delivers very quickly or unexpectedly and I have to grab one of the slippery little creatures barehanded. Yecch...and doctors rarely say yecch.

But...no sacrifice is too great to further my knowledge and experience in photography. Yes, I washed my hands.

OH, believe me, at work, never mind what my mom taught me,...I wash my hands "BEFORE!" I go to the bathroom!!!!:eek:

5. *LMAO* Vernon, you are a real riot!!! I am a firm believer of the washing of hands BEFORE and then afterwards. I pride myself and my bits.... I still wouldn't touch biological matter with bare hands, stuck on a camera in a store!! You're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din!

6. Vernon - That is just too funny! :biggrin: