D70 mirror cleaning

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Pa, Oct 30, 2005.

1. I see a couple of spots when I look through the viewfinder of my D70. They are not on the lens, as they don't go away when I change lenses, so they must be on the mirror.

Does anyone have recommendations on the best way to clean these mirrors?

2. Giottos has a HUGE bulb blower and it will remove anhing that is not stuck. If you need a link for it I will find one. I have used one for a year now and find it invaluable.
    Dave

3. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    PA, I just use my Rocket hand blower, making sure not to touch the mirror.

I just had to clean my sensor recently - actually when I saw at least 27 specks in the test shot, I realized it had been overdue. Anyway, I used the Rocket blower on it and voila! Only one soft spot remained. I'm not looking forward to the day that I might have to use a wet procedure.

4. Thanks to you both. I have ordered the Giottos Rocket Blower from B&H.

5. Sharp specks are most likely on your focusing screen above the mirror.
    Specks on the mirror itself are generaly not in focus.
    Upper side of the screen are hard to get off. Lower side'll be blowable.
    Noncontributory to your captures in any event...although annoying.

6. BTW, while the rocket blower is the best, you can get tiny $2 bulbs at a pharmacy, designed as baby snot-sucker function.
    They fit unobtrusively in any small carry bag or pack and are good sensor blowers in the field for the invariable "geez-that's-a big-one" dust bunnies. They happen at the most inopportune moments!