D70 P&S Setup

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Jim Strathearn, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Yea, I know; the D70 is not a P&S camera... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

However, I am loaning one of my D70's to a relative for a day long outing and want to set it up for him so that all he has to do is point and shoot. I don't want to leave it on auto because it will end up being me that PP's all his pics! :eek: I was thinking of using aperture priority, setting the f/stop to f/8 or perhaps f/10 (will be a partly cloudy/sunny day), AF-S dynamic, WB to cloudy, ISO auto on, in camera sharpening to medium high, tone curve to normal and JPEG medium/fine (with a 1GB card). I will probably give him the kit lens or maybe the 50mm f/1.8. Does that sound like it may work? If not, I'd certainly appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    The way I do it when my son or someone else borrows my D70, is normally set it on Programmed Auto (P mode), or A-priority if they're the least bit camera knowledgeable, use photogentic's P&S curve or equivelent, WB Auto -2 (cloudy too warm for sunny conditions), AF-S, (lock center focus reticle), Auto ISO, jpg Med Fine, Sharpening set to High. imo, A priority is not the way to go for a total noob. For one thing, they can accidentally change the aperture. But with Auto ISO I suppose it could work.
    The boy made me proud with this shot he took last summer:

3. Thanks Steve! When in Programmed mode, do you just set it for something around an f/8 or so, or how do you set it?

Absolutely fantastic pic BTW! That would make me proud as well...

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    In Programmed Auto, the aperture is decided for you. Only the Exp Comp can be adjusted. Thanks for the comps on the pic! I'll pass it on to him.

5. Steve-Now we know who the real photographer in the family is! :biggrin:

Just one other note. When my wife uses the camera indoors I always just tell her to pop the flash up and leave it up during indoor shoots. It seems to help in most situations. But, that is in Aperture Priority Mode I think in P-Mode the flash will pop up if needed. I will have to remember these settings for her. She justs wants to push a button, that's it!

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Mark, I'll pass that thought on to Donnie. Actually, I think the popup flash will only pop up automatically if in Auto mode. Otherwise, you need to put it up manually, and then it'll work if set up correctly as Auto Flash in the menu.

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Program Mode. That's exactly what it's for.

8. Thanks John. I noticed that the front control dial can change all the programmed modes. I guess I'll just set it for something "in the middle". Does that sound right?

BTW, I checked out your web blog and it seems that we have something else in common other then photography... (Yea, I know - bad light. But the ride down was good!) :biggrin:

[​IMG]

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    That's awesome Jim. Two Vettes - 34 years apart :biggrin:

[​IMG]

10. That's a beautiful car John! I think I may get my first ride in a '05 this Saturday. I host a Corvette Cruise along Skyline Drive inside Shenandoah National Park and I've been promised a ride in one during lunch. I did get to sit in a ZO6 at Carlisle this year... :biggrin: Do you frequent Corvetteforum.com?

So, whatcha get - the auto or the stick?

Just to get this back on topic, I'm loaning my second D70 to my nephew this Saturday so he can take some pics at the cruise. We usually get 100-150 cars but we may get more this time... My nephew has an '82 CE. He's actually a little excited about uncle loaning him the "big camera"... :rolleyes:

Let me know if it really is just as quiet with the top down at 55 as it is a 180, OK? :eek:

[​IMG]

11. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Jim - that's a cool shot. Gotta love those lines. I do go to Corvette Forum - not as much as I used to though. I am 'Nikovette' :biggrin: on there. That shot was taken on a D70 with the 70-200VR as I recall. I haven't got to 180 yet - and it's an automatic (yes, I know . . . )

12. Thanks John! We traded a '95 6-speed coupe for that car in '99. The '71 had 29K miles on it at the time. It has around 60K now as we drive it (it's been to NCM twice...). We also have an '85 w/313K miles on the clock... It's supposed to be photographed for Corvette Enthusiast Magazine on Saturday while at the cruise. It's kind of embarrassing because it looks like it has 313K miles on it! :eek:

13. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    313K - Wow. That's impressive :eek: I'll watch for the pics.

14. I forgot about this pic which I kind of like a lot.

I'll post cruise pictures hopefully on Sunday and we'll see how the D70 works as a P&S!

[​IMG]

15. The results!

Here is one of the pics my nephew took:

[​IMG]

I did do some PP on it to brighten it up a bit. I wish the angle was just a tad different so that the left rear wasn't blown so bad, but he loves the shot! :smile: He took a lot of pics and when he posts them, I'll post a link. Thanks for all the great advice - it worked! :biggrin:

16. Jim, the shot looks good to me! What settings did you decide to use?

17. Thanks!

I used Programmed Auto "P" mode, Oldskools sReala4 (sp?) curve, medium high sharpening, ISO 200, Cloudy WB, AF-S Dynamic locked on the center focus sensor. I put the kit lens on and turned him loose! :eek:

18. I will try to remember that for when my wife uses the D70 this Christmas. Thanks.