D70 Purchase

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by LynnTX, Aug 20, 2008.

1. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    I have been looking for a good used camera for my son. He has 3 month old twins and needs a decent camera. I just won bid on ebay for a clean D70 with 1570 actuations for less than $300. One of the few tiimes I have not been sniped in the last seconds.

I'm pretty pumped and hope the transaction goes smoothly. I plan to put a like-new 18-55 AF-S kit lens I have on it -for no additional cost to me. I think he will have a really nice camera for years with a little bit of luck. He always takes very good care of his things. This way, I get even more pics of the twins (boy/girl). We live about 20 minutes apart, so we can even share cameras on occasion.

If I can find another deal like that, I may get another one for myself.

Lynn

2. Lynn, Great Deal.

The D70 makes some outstanding images, and I am sure your son will be quite pleased with the camera. Hope it is as good as you expect. The 18-55 seems like it should be a nice match. Now, you just have to make sure he gets a photo hosting account so he can upload images to share more quickly! :smile:

3. dutchtrumpet

dutchtrumpet

May 2, 2007
    Dallas
    Congrats! There aren't many nicer gifts that you could give.

4. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    D70

Thanks Joe and Dutch,
    Appreciate the kind words. My son has private and public albums on Picasa and he has also built a web site for his growing family. He is certainly more computer savy than I will ever be.

I'm a lot older and have to work harder at even attempting to keep up with the rapid technology changes. When I was a young man with kids, I could never have dreamed about cameras like the D70 or D40. They are certainly all that we need at this time ,as family men and hobbiest that just enjoy snapping pictures.

Lynn

5. Nice deal and congrats, Lynn. The D70 is a worhorse of a camera. I beat the heck outta mine for two years, burnt out one shutter motor. Still in great shape except for when my 4 year old pushed the CF card in the wrong way! :eek: lol
    Should get a lot of mileage out of it. Enjoy the grandpics! (pun intended!:wink:)

6. I just bought a D70S , good camera with good metering . One suggestion though , if you get a flash for it an SB800 is good in that it can do "AA" flash which doesn't emit a preflash . The D70 gives quite a strong preflash for ittl which often makes people blink for the main shot . In "AA" mode there is no preflash .

7. hensil

hensil

Jan 19, 2007
    Abu Dhabi - UAE
    Hi Lynn,
    I have D300, D200 and 2 of D70. One of D70 converted to IR. D70 is still my favorite even though its high ISO pictures are noisy. I have prints of A1 and A2 size from D70 and they look good. All the best.

8. Congratulations on a fine deal Lynn. The D70(s) is one of the great deals in the used market right now. They can be had at a very low price (easily in the low $ 300's) and it remains an outstanding DSLR.
    I have bought 4 over the last year or so. My wife has one and loves it. I have also bought one for a relative, a friend and one for their son. I have yet to hear a bad word on the D70 from any of them.
    Your son will love it!

9. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    AA Preflalsh on D70

Thanks Desmond,
    I appreciate the tip. I will be sure and check it out.
    On my D40, when I turn the preflash off, it sometimes has trouble finding sharp focus in marginal light. I'll be sure to check out the D70 in this regard,

Regards,
    Lynn

10. The only Nikon with wireless flash , 1005 segment metering sensor and 1/500th synch speed all in one , along with the ability to use flash up to maximum speed without fp mode with an older flash [ depending on power output ] .
    They still haven't come up with a more comfortable camera to hold than the D70 in my opinion .

11. I doubt that has anything to do with the flash since the D40 has a built in focus assist light [ which may actually be what you have turned off ]
    you can't turn off pre-flashes , you have to actually set the flash at manual for there to be no pre-flashes or use something like the SB800 in "A" mode for there to be no pre-flashes .

12. That is a great deal. The D70 was Nikon's first consumer SLR and one of the best. It has most of the options you need to either go all automatic or manual, including their creative light system (wireless lighting). And he can use many of the old AI-S lenses.

13. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    Preflash (also AF Assist)

Desmond,
    You are right, I was referring to turning off the autofocus assist on my D40.
    (I was taking some pics recently where I needed to stop the AF A. light.

Since I have not used a SB-800 I have not read up on it's features or capabilities. It would be cool to control flash off camera via wireless, but I guess that is for another discussion thread.

Thank you for being helpful (and others here as well)

Lynn

14. Also , if you have the SB800 on auto focus assist it will bring on a subtle red light from the flash itself , not the harsh white light .

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  15. STSinNYC

STSinNYC

Sep 15, 2008
    NY, NY
    Our D70s has been a great light camera for us, shooting both RAW and JPEGs, in all conditions.

I would offer a different opinion than Desmond re a separate flash. If your son is mostly going to be doing family pics etc., an SB-400 would be fine based on our experience. Adding a diffuser, costs less than $20, softens and flattens the light some. The SB-800 is an excellent flash but might be overkill for his needs.

16. eric rose

eric rose Guest

I love my D70s and have been doing a lot of HDR stuff with it. Great work horse.

17. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    Used D70

Thanks again for all the positive input.

Since I gave this camera to my son, and first posted about it, he has taken about 300 pictures with it, and most of them are pretty good.

That may not sound like a lot, but working full time and helping take care of 4 month old twins tends to keep one rather busy. Thank goodness the twins health is now quite good.

Regards,
    Lynn

18. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

and the d70 is a very nice dslr for IR conversion.

19. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    Update on the D70

This is an old thread, but I am happy to report my son has taken hundreds more photos with the D70 I bought him last summer. The twins are growing like crazy and the camera has been great. His wife has become quite proficient with it as well.

It's an oldy but a goody!

20. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    It is an Oldie but it sure is a Goldie. I will never part with my D70 inspite of the fact that I have better bodies. The D70 with my 18-200VR is a formidable 'carry-anywhere' kit and gives excellent results.